All iPads Any poll on whos buying iPad Air or iPad Mini?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Starfyre, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Starfyre macrumors 68000

Starfyre

I am pretty sure this poll exists already. Does anyone have a link to a poll on whether most people are planning or have already bought an Air vs a Mini? Debating on which one to get.

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

Buy which one fits your needs/wants/preferences. Don't just follow the crowd mindlessly.

(And yes, the differences have been discussed a lot, several threads already that should get you up to speed.)

3. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

I have both and was a diehard advocate of the Air until I made myself use the mini for several days. I always loved the form factor but hated the tiny-ness of text on the mini. But what I discovered is that once I adjusted my usage patterns, the tiny text wasn't an issue at all. I'm quite loving the mini now.

4. Starfyre thread starter macrumors 68000

Starfyre

I was set on the mini, until I saw the reviews on the display being different in quality with the mini having worse, but noticeable quality loss.

5. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

It's a color gamut issue, not just a generic "quality loss." You need to figure out if that's a big deal to you. To the vast majority of people who aren't professional photographers or graphic designers, it doesn't make a bit of difference. The screen is crystal clear, razor sharp and stunningly beautiful to the average user.

6. Rodster macrumors 68040

I was planning on buying a rMini but have decided to get a full size iPad instead. I don't like having to zoom in and out when surfing the web. The extra real estate helps.

7. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Let me try to be nice here.

Such a poll would be of little value, on many levels.

1 - People are buying MILLIONS of each.

2. - If they are buying more of one than other, does it make one better? Or worse?

3 - Your audience here is way different than the general population. Or is it?

4 - Then there are the MILLIONS buying nothing.

5 - And, MILLIONS buying various competing tablets.

Bottom line - what purpose would a poll serve?

(P.S. In the last month, I am guessing there are a few hundred threads and a few thousand posts debating which is better)

8. asleep, Dec 18, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  9. luckylisp macrumors 6502

I personally would not let the color gamut issue stop you if you feel the size factor is important to you and makes the device more useful/enjoyable for you.

I looked at both the Air and the mini at my local Apple shop, and while the Air does have more saturated colors, I didn't find the mini colors a problem at all.

I personally prefer the Air due to the bigger size, and mainly because I use mine at home to browse the net, but if you think the mini fits your lifestyle better you should get it. You'll most likely love it. Basically the best device is the one that suits your wants and needs the best.

10. meistervu macrumors 65816

person 1 - iPad Air
    person 2 - iPad Mini
    person 3 - iPad Mini
    person 4 - iPad Air
    person 5 - iPad Mini
    ...and so on

People obviously buy one or the other or both. So what if you see a survey that says x% buying iPad Air and 1-x% buying iPad mini, how does that helps you decide?

11. mpantone macrumors 6502

A poll doesn't help.

Buy the device that best fulfills your needs. If you need to schlepp around three kids and their friends, don't buy a Mazda Miata, buy the minivan or SUV.

It's not a popularity contest. A tablet is an appliance.

Also, MacRumors is one awful place for a technology poll. The site is full of teenagers who still live with mommy and daddy, mostly privileged white American kids. This site has zero relevance whatsoever to the general public (which again doesn't really matter in your case).

Running polls on this site is meaningless.

12. dannynjoni, Dec 18, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2013

dannynjoni macrumors member

And fun. ;)

I agree with those who say the screen difference doesn't matter much. I have an Air and am into photography so I didn't think id like my wife's Mini as much. I don't want to put it down. It's razor sharp and actually very colorful. Just not as much so as the Air. If you didn't have them side by side I doubt you'd notice. They're both awesome. But if you are into photography then I'd give the nod to the Air. The screen is just perfect for editing and showing off your work! For reading books I'd say the Mini. But both device do both of these tasks well. Good luck!

13. mpantone macrumors 6502

A lot of polls on this site are tedious.

Only a few are "fun."

14. v0lume4 macrumors 65816

v0lume4

I'd go as far to say that teenagers are the minority on these forums. Or, at the very least, there's equally as many people from other age groups as there are teenagers.

However, your comment saying this site not representing the general public, I agree with.

15. Harmonious Zen macrumors 6502a

Well we're certainly all just guessing when we claim to know the user demographic for this site. If it's at all reflective of reality, surely there are quite a few grown adults who act like teenagers!

16. JackieInCo macrumors 601

You'll never notice it.

17. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

depends on if this person has used an iPad Air at all. it may not be a big deal...but it could be?

18. THE BG 86 macrumors regular

Went in with all intentions to buy ipad Rmini but comparing the colors I personally noticed right away and bought the air.

19. deeddawg macrumors 604

Yep. It certainly could be a big deal to someone. For most normal folks (non MR users) I doubt they'd even notice.

Trouble is there's no real good way to fit an Air into a sportcoat pocket. If that's an important criteria, then you have to decide which is more important.

20. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

The PPI is denser on the iPad rMini... so wouldn't that be a quality gain? Just showing you a different perspective.

Color Gamut is lower but you'll never notice it unless you had it next to an iPad Air.

I had both and went with the rMini, it's cheaper and I enjoyed the smaller form factor more. I did love the Air though... I wish I had the money to keep both.

21. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Most of the people doesn't even know what color gamut means, but now they are on forums like this to bash iPad mini for its "poor quality display" :rolleyes:

I have an Air, but today I was at the store playing with a rMini for a while and I love it and its wonderful display.
    I went for the Air only because a like a bigger screen to read and watch films.

22. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I found it hard to really see how nice the Retina Minis display was in the Apple store because the indoor lights were so bright.

Once I got it home and started using it, I was so impressed and still am.

23. quamsi macrumors regular

I agree, to a degree. Had I not read anything on the forums about the Ipad Mini's lesser color intensity, I would never in a million years have noticed it. Now that I have and I've seen it in person, I can't un-see it. It nagged me enough to seriously start considering the Air. I chose the Air overall, not only because of the colors, but because I was surprised how well it fit my uses.

24. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

I chose the retina mini, and didn't need a poll. Nonetheless, I'd certainly be curious about how many people by Airs vs retina minis, even though it wouldn't influence my purchasing decision. Unfortunately, likely Apple alone would have accurate figures in that regard, and they're not telling. :)

25. Misskitty macrumors 6502

Mini is outselling the air