Any Pool (Billiards) players here?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by todd2000, Feb 18, 2010.

1. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Just wondering how many pool (thats Billiards for most of the world) players there are among us?

I don't mean "bangers," who might play once in a while at a bar if the mood strikes them. Im talking about people who really love the game. Personally I would play every day if I could. My mother, and her Boyfriend got me started playing probably about 10 years ago, but I've gotten more serious within the last few years. I still have a ways to go to improve, but Im not horrible :)

I just got a new cue a few weeks ago, nothing special, compared to all the fancy crazy priced cues some people get, but I like it. It's a Fury DL Series 20 oz. The wood is Birdseye maple, and it is stained gray even though it doesn't quite look it in the pics. Here are some pics if your interested.

Post pics of your Cue if ya got em!

(click images to enlarge)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Apparently I'm a hardcore banger. They have a table at work, but I rarely go in there to play. I think the game is fun though. :)

3. Surely Guest

Surely

Wow, nice looking cue.

I owned my own cue, but my brother "stole" it and took it with him when he went off to post-grad. I'm going to have to ask him if he knows where it is.... it was a really nice cue...... that F'er.

I used to play everyday. When I was younger, my family had our own table. I lived in a house that had a pool table until my early 20's. It was great, because all of my friends would come over, we'd crack open some beers, smoke something or other, and just play for hours. I had a really big basement (big screen tv, a few couches, a ping pong table, hot tub, sauna.....), so it was always a party. Luckily my friends were good about cleaning up after themselves!

Anyway, I definitely plan on buying a table once I own a house with a big enough basement. I give it another five years, and then I can go back to being a pool player instead of just a banger.:p

My favorite game was Snooker, but most of my friends preferred 8-Ball or 9-Ball. We also used to play a game called Poker-Pool, which involved a deck of cards. Good times.

4. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Real Snooker is awesome. When I say real I mean on a specific Snooker table which is larger in size than a standard table, has rounded pocket corners instead of flat, and is a faster rolling surface. You also use a special set of balls that includes specifically numbered ones and more generic red balls. I haven't played in quite a long time, but it was such a fun game.

My brother in law used to work for a restaurant who's owner also had a pool hall named the "Gold Rail and Cue" in Nashville, TN. It was an awesome place like some of the basement pool halls you would see in the old movies. On the street level there was just a door and you wind down a rounded staircase where it opened up into a huge underground hall with multiple tables, a full size Snooker table, some ping pong tables in the back and a sand shuffleboard table. It was such a cool place. In fact I admit that I kinda compare all pool halls to it as the standard.

Ah, to good ole' times... :)

5. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Only two of you? Guess the game really is dying :(