Any possibility of Apple Cinema 32 inch replacing current 30

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by phrygiana, Nov 25, 2010.

1. phrygiana, Nov 25, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2010

phrygiana macrumors newbie

This is just a thought.

Apple will soon see its 30 inch displays out of stock.

My brain approximates to Apple probably releasing 32 inch Cinema Display

whose spec. and look are identical to current 27 inch one except the resolution.

Super-large, fascinating. Yes, it's my fantasy, prediction without mathematical model.

Would you simply add to the trains of thought on this?

I am buying 30 inch soon and shall explode at my fantasy coming into reality.

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I don't think it will happen, but you never know.

3. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Basically, no. Not any time soon. Apple have clearly put the 27" out as a replacement for the 30", and going bigger would mean even higher resolution which starts encroaching on 4k technology - and that is incredibly expensive. Consumer displays go to 2560x1600 and stop. There simply is no pathway for anything bigger right now.

What I would be more interested in is a 21.5" 1080p screen from Apple. They're ignoring the lower end of their market, and forcing a lot of users in to third party monitors. Simply put, most people can't afford a 27" ACD.

4. phrygiana thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; ko-kr) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I must admit to my thought having
    been based on poor assumption.
    My decision algorithm says I shall
    explode at hopeless waiting first.
    Go 30 is my conclusion.

5. Transporteur macrumors 68030

That's exactly what people thought back in 2004, and yet Apple released the first 30" screen whilst others were still developing 23" models. The price for that thing was $3300. Today you can get a 30" screen for about $1000. So your price argument doesn't really cut it. There will always be people who are more than willing to pay a lot of money for a larger display.

2560x1600 is nothing special any more and there is definitely a need for higher resolution displays.
    Displayport is capable of 3840 × 2160, and the technology for higher dense displays with IPS is also available. I think it's just a matter of time till Samsung or LG show some balls and produce a larger, high res, consumer panel.

6. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

I did say "right now" - I fully expect the resolutions to go bigger, just not yet. I'd say that we'll see the new higher resolution (as you said, 3840x2160 is likely) in around 3 years.

7. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Fair enough. But it's been 6 years with 2560x1600 now and since we have the technology now (DP, higher resolutions before DP were only possible by using multiple DVI inputs, which is not convenient, especially in mobile computers), I expect this to change pretty soon.
    That's just my assumption, though.

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Software still needs better optimization with such hi res monitors. Things like resolution independence are needed to take full advantage. Some people are already complaining about too small text in laptops with hi res screen and some even say the same about 27" iMac.

I agree with you that manufacturers should soon start producing reasonably priced displays with higher resolution since DVI or VGA isn't the bottleneck anymore. HDMI and DP can both deliver enormous resolutions

9. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Right. IIRC Apple stated that they will introduce resolution independence with 10.5 (which never happened as we all know). Without it, I think anything higher than what we've got in the high res 27" panels isn't really useful anymore for desktop use.

But still, a 16/9 display with 100dpi (which is what the current 30" uses) with 3200x1600 at 32" would be awesome!

10. peskaa, Nov 25, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2010

peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Thing is, how many people have those size monitors? Not many, in the greater scheme of things. Companies make their money from lots of sales, and until the mass market is chomping at the bit for bigger, higher resolution displays it'll be a niche (read: expensive) market, and Apple have quite clearly expressed their interest in the mass market in recent times as that is where the money is, and it works for them.

DisplayPort is the way forward, but again, its market penetration right now is low. So many people are stuck on DVI, and won't be happy if they're told they need a new GPU (or even laptop) for their new screen.

11. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

12. Transporteur macrumors 68030

I totally agree. I was more talking about the industry in general, as I don't really expect Apple to be the pioneer in this field again.

Well, that's exactly what happened with the introduction of the 30" screens 6 years ago. They weren't compatible with ANY product, the only option to get them running was to buy a new ($600) graphics card, and yet Apple sold those displays.

And as of today, the majority of notebooks still is not compatible with such displays because they have either VGA or HDMI < 1.3.
    That's the way it is in the computer industry, if you want to go with the future, you have to upgrade, there is no silver bullet for that issue, which is why I don't think it's a valid argument agains the introduction of larger displays. They aren't targeted at consumers anyway, so the market penetration of DP isn't much of a matter. In most businesses (I don't count governments in there), IT equipment is generally replaced after 3 years (based on the write-down period, which may vary from country to country, though), so keeping up to date isn't much of an issue.

13. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

And as you said above, Apple are no longer the pioneers. Apple now take existing technology and make it better. They'll go for big screens when somebody else has done the leg work. Six years ago it was different, but times change.

14. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Apple still does some pioneering in terms of displays (first with high res 11" screens, fist with high res 27" screens), but I agree with you, I don't expect them being the first ones to release a > 30" screen.

As for taking existing tech, in terms of displays that has always been the case since Apple is not a panel manufacturer. Those manufacturers (generally LG of Samsung) probably develop panels after Apple's requirements and don't come up with this for themselves. But that's just me guessing. ;)