Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 29, 2009
I normally wait for second gen products when i buy stuff from apple, i got an iphone 3g i got a ipod nano 2nd gen and i got the second gen ipod mini. But i was hoping to get an ipad as my christmas gift but like i said i wanna wait for the second gen product. I was hoping there might be some rumor saying apple will release an iPad before it's expected announcement timeframe beginning of 2011.

Also why wouldn't apple release it's next big product before the holidays?
6 month release cycles would give apple a huge leg up in tablets before competition starts selling.

detoxguy

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2009
no chance.

To release before Christmas would mean they would already have to be in production and that has not happened.

Last edited by a moderator:

BBC B 32k

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2005
London
Not a cat in bells chance. My guesstimate is for March / April next year. Double the RAM to 512, FaceTime camera, higher res screen, ability to print. :D

Buy now, you will have lots of time not feeling screwed by Apple

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
As everyone else said there is no chance of that happening. October is the latest in the year Apple ever updates products and that is passed. So no update for the rest of the year at least.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
As everyone else said there is no chance of that happening. October is the latest in the year Apple ever updates products and that is passed. So no update for the rest of the year at least.
Macbooks has been updated in November several times.

Although I agree that the iPad is going to be on a 1 year cycle, hence no updates until April.

lozpop

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2006
6 month release cycles would give apple a huge leg up in tablets before competition starts selling.

The current iPad is the most successful tablet on the planet, with 85% of the market.
The question is another. Why would Apple release too early its next big product before the holidays when the current is selling millions and millions and it has to be launched in a lot of other countries yet?

bri1212

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2008
I normally wait for second gen products when i buy stuff from apple, i got an iphone 3g i got a ipod nano 2nd gen and i got the second gen ipod mini. But i was hoping to get an ipad as my christmas gift but like i said i wanna wait for the second gen product. I was hoping there might be some rumor saying apple will release an iPad before it's expected announcement timeframe beginning of 2011.

The simple answer is NO.

Ciclismo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Germany
The current iPad is the most successful tablet on the planet, with 85% of the market.
The question is another. Why would Apple release too early its next big product before the holidays when the current is selling millions and millions and it has to be launched in a lot of other countries yet?

Exactly - it makes more sense to update the iPad during the part of the year that is traditionally slow for technology.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Not gonna happen at all. Just as the others have said, the timeframe for the iPad release is April of next year if we follow Apple's historical way of releasing products on an annual basis.

IamHermann0069

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2008
Minneapolis, Minnesota
NO NO NO NO!!!!!
No again, and for SO MANY OBVIOUS REASONS.

1. Don't you think it would be on the shelves already? It is near the middle of November, and most people are already out Christmas Shopping! (One of my neighbors already has lights and a tree up) LOL

2. We would have had some sort of announcement already. The announcement for the last iPad came shortly after christmas and the release of the product was not until the end of April.

3. The iPad is one of Apple's top selling devices. They have no need to release a new one early, because let's face it... The iPad competition (or lack there of) SUCKS!

4. Apple likes to wait at least a year before updating a line of products. I think people finally stopped "speculating" that Apple would release a new iPhone before the usual July date, because it NEVER happens. iPad is, and will continue to be no different.

5. The biggest rumor of an iPad before Christmas, was the release of the 7 inch ipad. THANK GOD Apple already crushed that rumor.

6. Please refer to the rest of the forum. This rumor has already been killed soooooooo many times. I hope this is the end of the pre-Christmas iPad questions.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I agree about everything in your post except this:

2. We would have had some sort of announcement already. The announcement for the last iPad came shortly after christmas and the release of the product was not until the end of April.

If Apple announced a new iPad and only released it a few months later they would have virtually no sales during those months. It's only for the first generation of products that they announce it and only release it a few months later.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010

As all have pointed out "because it doesn't need to." Not to come across as an Apple apologist, and there's likely a middle-ground "sweet spot" but I find the "updated product every few months" policy equally irritating. I'm almost thankful that iPhones update once a year, seeing the perpetually updating Blackberry/Pre/Android world gets more thana little irritating in that they're clearly not all improvements (and some are outright duds). Better to make a good (if imperfect) product and then build on it over time than pop in a new doo-dad or feature and call it innovation.

sapporobaby

macrumors 68000

Any chance people will use the search feature to read threads that have already discussed this topic?

Don Kosak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Hilo, Hawaii
Any chance people will use the search feature to read threads that have already discussed this topic?

LOL That was funny.

Yeah, some days I peek at the forum topics and think: "Gee, didn't I reply to this one already? I remember writing a whole big reply about how Apple won't announce version 2 more than a week or so before it ships, etc..."

Then I realize it's just the weekly re-asking of the question.

Hey, a bunch of us are regular posters on this Forum. Do you think we should make an FAQ with all of these really common questions? I'd certainly be willing to help with that.

(The question is, will anyone bother to read the FAQ?)

ilovemyibook

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2006
I hate it when people always ask this. No, it won't be out by Christmas. It's insane to think that there is even a chance. Just wait until April or buy now.

pdawg

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Doubtful for Christmas. I have the first generation iPad, and it is truly wonderful. I am usually not an early adopter due to potential for bugs, issues, etc. But this is a well designed electronic device. Look what happened with the new iPhone: NOT first generation but it has its own set of issues. Second generation is no guarantee of better quality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.