Any possible new MBP within the next few months?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hajime, Jul 23, 2014.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hello, I have been using a 15" rMBP for two years. The CPU is 2.6GHz i7. It is fast enough for me but it is a bit heavy. 14-15" laptops may be better than 12" one. Heard anything about possible new laptops within the next few months?

2. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

No, and there will be no real CPU performance benefits in the next 2 years either unless intel does something miraculous, the only gain you will see is better battery life.

Intel are stuck at the moment with fabrication and dye shrinkage issues so they can't really get any more out of their current CPUs. There will need to be some real innovation before the next step happens. Clock for clock any computer released in the last 3.5 years is going to be roughly identical on a performance chart.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Without the release of the Broadwell chipset, we'll not see any new MBPs. As for the rumored 12" laptop, that's probably going to be a MBA and not a MBP. I believe the ULV variant of the Broadwell chipset may be released before Christmas so its conceivable to see an update to the MBAs.

4. Alfonsomac macrumors member

Guys you are probably wrong.

Intel has just released the updated Haswell CPU (a boost of 200 mhz) which we may see in the next rMBP refresh.

Yeah, it's not going to be a major release, which will come out with Broadwell, but an update of the line it's expected.
    Boosted CPU and, maybe, a new dGPU worth waiting.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That is what you call a speed bump, overall the 200MHz boost is not much and there's been no other improvements on the haswell chipset.

The linked news story does not mention anything about the GPU as well.

6. Alfonsomac macrumors member

Of course, we don't know what Apple is going to do.
    But if Broadwell will be out for June, Apple may even update the one year old dGPU, like it did in 2011 with the early and late MBP.

Even if it's going to be a silent refresh, i thought that was worth to mention it.