Any possible reason that the cellular data provider usage is very different from iphone stats?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by j2ee, Mar 5, 2016.

1. j2ee Suspended

j2ee

So my wife uses the iphone 6s plus. In this month somehow her cellular data went out very fast, and she needs to buy extra usage. She looks at the iphone cellular stats and doesn't match up with provider usage at all, that is like few 100mb different. The cellular provider asked her to buy more, she paid once but reset the stats, she just used 40mb but the cellular provider said her 200 extra mb is used up again and asked her to buy again. So I wonder if any possible answer that the iphone usage is not accuracy or doesn't measure some kind of data, or virus...or any other possible reason other than the cellular data provider is just wrong? That company doesn't provide detail data stats at all.

2. j2ee thread starter Suspended

j2ee

3. fluamsler macrumors member

fluamsler

It's different. Sometimes they round to the next 10kb 100kb or 400kb step. If you receive a mail with 45kb and the mails will not be delivered by push mail, you generating 45k of traffic. But after disconnecting usually the provider will round up. So they will caclulate for this mail 50kb, 100kb or even 400kb. Especially by frequently downloading very small amount of data this can cost you much more than you0ve really used. Hope this helps. :)

4. j2ee thread starter Suspended

j2ee

Thanks but the different is few 100MB so I dont think this is the reason.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Everything should be listed there at settings, cellular usage.
    Maybe disable wifi assist if that eats up carrier data while on wifi.
    But in general the iPhone is very Data intensive. So 50mb or even 200mb can be consumed within seconds.

6. fluamsler macrumors member

fluamsler

Maybe you can find some excessive apps in "Settings>mobile data." Try to turn off mobile data usage for data hungry apps (especially Facebook, Facebook Messenger and Instagram) or apps which don't havt to use the mobile internet that necessary. You can also try turning off the WiFi Assist in "settings>WiFi assist."
    Hope this helps!

7. j2ee thread starter Suspended

j2ee

Seem like the iphone setting stats should log every cellular data usage....may be it is the cellular company problem or my wife problem!?

8. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

Perhaps there's a delay between you resetting the cellular data usage, and the cellular company doing their accounting.

I.e. they tell you about your data quotum, then you reset the counter. But in the mean time, their slow-as-molasses Java-based backend just subtracts another 100 MB.

As we all know, most cellular phone companies are as customer friendly as Lucifer at Hell's Gate. For example, mine promised me they'd warn me if my cellular quotum would be reached. But often, this happens half a day later.

9. j2ee thread starter Suspended

j2ee

I understand what may happened thx.

10. bushido Suspended

bushido

my provider rounds every connection up to 100 kb so if u only used like 20kb they will still round it up to 100. easy to reach 100 mb difference this way i suppose

Attached Files: