Any predictions for Mac Pro for WWDC?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by justflie, May 12, 2008.

1. justflie macrumors 6502a

justflie

Hey guys. Any ideas on what might be coming along (if anything) for a Mac Pro update at WWDC? I'm going to get one but am trying to convince myself that I should wait another month until the conference. :D

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

3. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

yeah, no way. they barely have the current generation running right.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

They just updated and there's nothing else to update to.

BluperDrive option, though, and HDCP support. That's about it, but don't count on it.

5. OddThomas macrumors regular

OddThomas

New ACDs please please please.. 24", 32" with HDCP, HDMI and other 3 and 4 letter acronyms.

6. faumble macrumors regular

7. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

No chance of a Mac Pro update at WWDC.

It would be nice to see some updated displays, though. It's been a while, and it'd be nice to have something up-to-date.

8. justflie thread starter macrumors 6502a

justflie

I was hoping they could at least offer the new line of nvidia cards (if they finally have the drivers in decent shape).

9. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

I am beginning to think that WWDC will on be for some super special announcements; Tuesdays are not that sacred any more. Good news will come when it needs to and be tied to a date ... I think.:cool:

10. chewietobbacca macrumors 6502

The 9600GT and 9800GTX or 9800GX2 would be nice, but the 9800GX2 is really the only new card (9800GTX is just a faster 8800GTS 512 which is a slightly better 8800GT). More likely than not, Apple is waiting until the ATI 4xxx series (RV770/R700) battle with the Nvidia 9900's (GT200) gets settled before an update on video cards, since that battle is rumored to be due sometime in June

11. justflie thread starter macrumors 6502a

justflie

Well let the battle begin. I'm planning on purchasing the MPro mid-to-late June, depending on when I sell my laptop. Maybe that will allow sufficient time for this to play out.

12. Lord Zedd macrumors 6502a

Lord Zedd

Maybe Blu-Ray and/or new displays. But don't hold your breath.

13. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Mmm... nah. There won't be a graphics card update until Nehalem comes out.

14. MaximusNL macrumors newbie

The upcomming WWDC is not going to bring new MacPro's. Since the last update is not far behind us. I do hope that the ACD's are going to be updated. Mainly because the last update dates back to 2006.

I hope the 30" ACD's will feature HDCP support and that is all I need. That gives me the "go-signal" to order a 30" ACD with a Quad Xeon 2.8GHz

15. nick9191 macrumors 68040

They have some ATI 3870 cards for the mac pro, but they wouldn't announce that at WWDC.

The ACD's are still at a pretty good price for what they are, although many people would like to buy one who don't need such a high quality display. I think they should have a cheap 20" model at £199 for those who want one with their mini etc.

16. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

ATI 3870
    BluRay option
    Maybe a little speed bump. Maybe maybe maybe. Probably not.

17. MaximusNL macrumors newbie

With just an ADC update the Pro users should be satisfied. I think it isn't possible Apple will update the MacPro's specs.

18. supercooled macrumors 6502a

Historically, hasn't this been an iPhone/iPod event?

I would like to see an introduction of a true-form tablet but that won't be another year I suspect.

19. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Intel has no new workstation CPU or systemboard plans until Nehalem and the new 12-core Dunningtons coming later this year are targeted for servers only and would not bring anything to the Mac Pro.

So as others have noted, the only thing Apple can offer is new video cards and Blu-Ray. ATI is already going to create new Mac Pro-compatible cards and WWDC would be the logical place for Apple to announce Blu-Ray authoring support, however I believe they will not so as to not impact the iTunes store.

20. JeffDM macrumors 6502a

And "they" said that graphics cards weren't confusing.

What? Not at all. It's a Mac developer conference. They have announced updates to the towers there in the past, but I doubt they will this year. They touched on how to do an iphone web app last year, until then, they didn't touch ipods because they weren't officially programmable anyway.

I expect no major updates to Mac Pro. Maybe a minor one at best. I'd love to see Blu-Ray playback but I really doubt it, they're pushing the AppleTV thing for HD, despite the fact that it's not nearly as good.

Apple usually updates their machines a month or two after new chips are available. There will be no new chips until later this year.

21. Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori

Please Apple, make more than one professional video card available for your Mac Pro. And a $2,500 one, at that. ATI and Nvidia make over a dozen different Quadro's and FireGL's. Please give us the choices that every other professional computer maker gives it's customers. Thank you. :apple:

22. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

The 9800gx2 is only two 8800GTS. How can that be new in any way? None of the 9 series geforce is new, they are just faster clocked 8's.

23. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

I'm hoping for 4 gigs standard, and a bto option on a single quad 3.0 instead of the 2.8
    and new acd.

I have my funds set aside for the current standard 2.8 with 23'' acd
    I'm debating on waiting or just buying now.

If I do buy now. I'm not so concerned with a minor update to the mac pro. Just the acd. I would hate to spend $900 on the current one, to have it replaced by a $700 model with hdcp and isight cam.

24. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

The Radeon 3870 is rumoured to arrive this month.
    I also don't expect a speed bump. We will probably keep the same line-up until the new CPU's arrive.
    Blu-Ray is possible, and maybe even the focus of new software..? Blu-Ray Studio Pro? or, iBlu-Ray? ;)

25. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Yeah, no...maybe new acd.