Any Problem Buying iPhone 6+ from someone that renewed 2-Year contract?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Y2JDMBFAN, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Y2JDMBFAN macrumors regular

Guys,

If I purchase an iPhone 6+ for Verizon that someone used an upgrade to purchase, is there any possible way the phone could get locked / bricked if they cancel their service? I am assuming not, because they will just got charged the ETF, but any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Y2J

2. jetlitheone macrumors 6502a

3. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

If they don't pay ETF and service fees and just default, then yes. Also, could report the phone as lost or stolen.

4. CarRamRod macrumors member

But assuming they pay all the fees, generally, everything is good to go, no?

5. 617aircav Suspended

As I have learned only Tmobile will block a phone for non payment, Verizon will only do it when reported stolen. That's said, I would not buy such a phone, unless it was way below market value. I've bought a lot of used phones, 100+ and never had an issue. Well I wouldn't know because they were all sold off on eBay.

6. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

"Assuming" they pay it off you are good. If they do not you will have a bricked phone. You really got to know the original buyer and things change after a year of two.

7. Y2JDMBFAN thread starter macrumors regular

Hmmm....now you guys have got me worried...I tend to flip my devices every 6 months or so, thinking maybe this good deal I found isn't worth saving the $100 or so...the seller assured me that the phone is from a line in good standing with Verizon and he just decided the iPhone 6+ wasn't for him. He says he called Verizon and there are no issues with him selling the phone to me. Any additional input is appreciated. I won't be using the phone with Verizon, but I don't want to run into a situation later where the phone gets blocked in Verizon's system and I end up selling it to someone with Verizon and it can't be activated...

8. aneftp macrumors 601

"Locked" or "stolen" Verizon iPhones are still worth $$$$.

These phones are onlu locked in the USA. They will still work in other countries and as a last resort u can easily resell internationally.

9. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

He bought the phone at a subsidized rate in agreement to stay with VZW for 2 years and make payments. When you buy it, all he has to do is stop paying the bills or quit Verizon and your phone gets shut off/blacklisted.

This is a Grey Street and not The Best of What's Around, so don't be the Proudest Monkey and admit that you're making a mistake here before you Crash.

10. aneftp macrumors 601

Most people won't risk hurting their credit by stop paying their bills.

Att and Verizon have much higher credit requirements than Tmobile or sprint users.

The OP is probably safe. Believe it or not. Most people don't need the lastest iphone. Some peeps happy with older iPhones or android or windows phone. If someone is eligible for upgrade. Why not maximize your subsidy by selling the lastest greatest iphone.

I sold my wife iphone 6 plus 64gb for $850 cash on Craigslist ATT locked. I got it for subsidy price $400 plus $40 upgrade.

I told buyer lets me at Att store. Had att store look up my account for buyer. Obviously noting I am a 10 plus year account holder. Buyer satisfied. Sold the phone. Activated the phone in store for him. Everyone satisfied. Att store always asks for ID as well

Maybe I am a good craigslist seller. But I always give people peace of mind when I sell my phones.

Just be safe. That's all.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd not take a chance myself. Why not wait for the phone to be available and buy it through apple?

12. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

"Be safe. That's all." That's exactly what I was saying. I'm never going to give a stranger the benefit of the doubt and assume they care about their credit score when $1,000 or so of my hard-earned money is on the line. I've read far too many horror stories and scams to have any faith in the humanity of strangers, especially when it's only to save, what, a $100?

Be safe. Be smart. Be patient. Buying this on contract phone from a stranger is none of these.

[/.02]

13. Y2JDMBFAN thread starter macrumors regular

I got excited and I jumped on the deal right away because I had been searching all over for this particular combination and finally found it at a great price. I didn't even think about potential blacklisting of the IMEI at the time. I may try and see if the buyer will cancel the transaction. Hopefully he will understand. Even if he is an honest person, I flip my phones every few months or so, and I don't want to run into problems if for some reason the IMEI gets blacklisted. From what I have read, there are conflicting reports on whether Verizon just blacklists IMEI's for stolen / lost phones and not those that were bought under contract and the IMEI was not paid.

14. Y2JDMBFAN thread starter macrumors regular

It looks like the seller will let me return. He insists that Verizon told him the iPhone is no longer tied to his account and his Droid MAXX is back on the line, but I am not too convinced.

15. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Good deal. Congrats.

16. Y2JDMBFAN thread starter macrumors regular

Well, an update, I called back and spoke to 2 different second tier tech support people and they both said the phone is clear and I shouldn't have any issues with it being possibly deactivated in the future....Decisions decisions...

17. toxicity033 macrumors member

I wouldn't worry if it was purchased on a 2 year contract..the chances are higher for blacklisting if they were purchased on an EIP or one of those installment plans.