any problem skipping CoreData and using SQLite only?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by 1458279, Nov 28, 2011.

1. 1458279 Suspended

I've searched all over and spent hours reading a bunch of the "CoreData vs SQLite" blogs.

I understand that CoreData moves straight to memory and has performance benefits under some cases like small record sets etc...

The real question is, can someone skip CoreData and use SQLite for all storage needs?

In other words, is there anything CoreData can do that can't be done or can't be done without HEAVY performance drop, in SQLite?

At this point, I'd really rather just learn one. With all the new stuff I'm learning, I'd be best off limiting my scope and get on with mastering other things.

I know some might say this depends on usage, but really if SQLite is .01 seconds slower loading 20 records or better on small sets, then I'm thinking it's not worth it.

Also, the issue of having to write more code to get the data into ObjC types, I'm not concerned with that.
    Don't care about the 'Visual' diagrams in coredata either...

Plus I already have a background in SQL statements.

2. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

Then you didn't really read the posts. Since Core Data is an Objective-C wrapper around SQLite, which does all the heavy lifting for you..
    The SQLite statements are nearly the same within Core Data, since the definition of Core Data is what I just described, it can also convert it to binary types.
    And you need to put it in Obj-C models anyways, just the difference is that one is Dynamic, and other is a normal NSObject model..
    Don't really see what the issue is on this thread.