Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 26, 2011
A friend upgraded her Core2Duo Mac Mini from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion yesterday. Unfortunately, her version of VMWare Fusion and who knows what else are not compatible. And she depends on this Mac to run her entire business...

We have until Friday to fix this. Unfortunately, she did a SuperDuper! backup immediately after doing the upgrade, so doing a restoration from a backup clone is out. She does not use Time Machine. Doing all the upgrades isn't an option with such a short time-frame.

So my plan is to reinstall Snow Leopard so that Fusion and her other apps will run normally until we can get this sorted-out. Am I likely to run into any problems with this scenario?

thirdeyeopen666

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2007
A friend upgraded her Core2Duo Mac Mini from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion yesterday. Unfortunately, her version of VMWare Fusion and who knows what else are not compatible. And she depends on this Mac to run her entire business...

We have until Friday to fix this. Unfortunately, she did a SuperDuper! backup immediately after doing the upgrade, so doing a restoration from a backup clone is out. She does not use Time Machine. Doing all the upgrades isn't an option with such a short time-frame.

So my plan is to reinstall Snow Leopard so that Fusion and her other apps will run normally until we can get this sorted-out. Am I likely to run into any problems with this scenario?

No... and you should be able to choose to migrate from that super duper backup when you first boot SL.

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 26, 2011
From what I have gathered searching the Apple forum, etc. it isn't possible to install Snow Leopard without erasing the target volume. Since the backup is of the Mini's drive after she upgraded to Mountain Lion, there is no SL data to migrate back to the Mini.

The best option is to upgrade Fusion so that it can run on Mountain Lion.

I think that I have a handle on it now and I won't be able to return to this thread before the work is completed. So kindly consider this thread finished as far as I am concerned.

thirdeyeopen666

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2007
Mojo, thats unfortunate... the migration should still work even though you're going backwards. It should still copy the user data and applications without any issue.

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 26, 2011
Mojo, thats unfortunate... the migration should still work even though you're going backwards. It should still copy the user data and applications without any issue.

The migration will not work because the backup was created after the OS upgrade, so the desired data was over-written by the backup. If the SuperDuper! clone hadn't been updated after the OS upgrade all that would be required is restoring the data from the backup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.