Any problems if I reinstall OSX with cds that didn't come with it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by acidraindrop, Sep 3, 2010.

1. acidraindrop macrumors member

Ok so I have a 17in macbook pro, the most recent model and I want to reinstall the computer like new but I lost the reinstall cds for it. However I do have the resinstall cds for my old macbook pro, but the cds say 15in macbook pro and they have OS 10.5.7 If I used the old cds would there be any problems or would it be best if I got replacements cds for the 17in?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You won't be able to use them, as those grey Restore DVDs are model specific.

You can get replacement DVDs from Apple or buy Snow Leopard for 29 USD.

[​IMG]

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You should never install a version of Mac OS X on a Mac older then the one it came with. I'd suggest getting the Snow Leopard disc for $29 and just use that. You can probably get iLife off the 15" MBP discs, with a little work, if you want it.

4. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Yes, you will run into a problem, the discs from your other Mac won't work. Each set of restore DVD's are machine specific. You would have to have both Macbooks being the exact same model and the same version meaning you can't use the previous gen 17" Restore discs in the current version 17". If you can't find your discs you can buy a copy of Snow Leopard at most retail stores that sell Macs for $29 but it won't come with iLife.

5. acidraindrop thread starter macrumors member

I do have my snow leopard upgrade DVD. Would that work? I dont know if its the same as actual snow leopard install DVD. I think it cost me $10 instead of 29.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It should work. Try it, you can't break anything by trying.

7. DanMacApple macrumors 6502

It should work fine.

8. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

It will work IF you currently have OS X installed, if not, it won't work. It requires either Leopard or Snow Leopard to preinstalled.

9. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

If you have your old MBP you could pull the HD from the new MBP and either put it in the old one or plug it into an external drive adaptor and install OSX on it. You can then upgrade.
    If I recall you might be able install OSX from the upgrade disk cleanly as well. If you plan to do a clean install it is worth a try.

10. green86 macrumors 6502

green86

Actually, I'm pretty sure it will work anyway... OP, why not just stick it in the drive and find out? It won't break anything.

11. brucem91 macrumors 6502

Nope, it will work. He mentioned he paid $10 for it, referring to the discount on SL if you bought a mac after the SL announcement. I too bought the $10 "version", and it is no different than the retail disc, except it came in different packaging. I have used it quite a few times to do a fresh install of snow leopard(wiping the HDD first).

brucem91

12. aristobrat macrumors G4

FWIW, that's not the case. I know that's how it's sold, but it has no problem installing Snow Leopard onto a blank HD, or letting you go into the "Utilities" area of the menu bar and using Disk Utility to completely erase the drive and do a fresh install.

Hey OP, one thing the retail OS discs don't come with is iLife. So if you reinstall cleanly from it, you'll be missing iPhoto, iMovie, etc.

You can call AppleCare (1-800-APL-CARE) and they can ship you the proper restore discs for your system for a fairly small price.

13. sup3r1or macrumors regular

My Snow Leopard DVD was scratched by my MBP dvd drive, so it is now unreadable, is there anyway apple can issue me a new one?

I live in Thailand, so they do no have official store here, only authorized resellers who are very rude, I asked them and they said NO, then hang up on me.