Any problems with 5GHz n-only mode on Time Capsule?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by danny_w, Mar 12, 2008.

1. danny_w macrumors 601

Has anybody here had problems running the TC in 5GHz mode, or is everybody having good success with it? I need to know before I go buy an Airport Express to try and add a b/g network. I tried one time to set my TC into 5GHz mode and it locked up on me; I lost wireless & ethernet, the status light stayed green, but Airport Utility couldn't find it even though I was connected by ethernet directly to the TC. I need to know was this just a fluke or is TC problematic at 5GHz. My TC is currently set back to the default of b/g compatible mode on channel 9 and everything seems to be rock solid. Am I going to make things worse by changing the TC to 5GHz and adding an Airport Express?

2. kbright macrumors newbie

Problem with 5GHz n-only mode on Time Capsule also

I have had similar problems. Unless I am very close to Time Capsule on downstairs in the house where it is, my MacBook Air cannot get nor stay connected with the TC set to 5ghz n-only mode. Sometimes it may connect and only get an internally assigned 169. address. If I shut off wifi on MBA then it may connect for a few seconds and then drop again and the TC becomes invisible. Also Airport Utility cannot find the Time Capsule.

If I set it to either of the 2.4GHz modes n-only or B/G compat mode it works great with great distance even upstairs in all the rooms. I was thinking it was my MacBook Air until I started seeing others have similar problems with Time Capsule in n-only 5GHz mode. It is ashame because that failing mode should be the fastest of all modes.

I hope Apple will solve soon and maybe provide an update to the Time Capsule.

3. coopermac macrumors member

My TC is on 1st floor and diagonally above where I normally use my MBP. The 2.4Ghz "n" only setting works without a problem but the 5Ghz "n" only continually drops out. Not sure where I read it but it would seem that the strength of th 5Ghz signal is weaker than the 2.4 signal. If I use the MBP in the same room as the TC there is no problem.

4. Future Blues macrumors member

I live in a Japanese apartment (which is small by most people's standards, I imagine) and I had absolutely no problem with 5Ghz 'N' mode with my Time Capsule and MBP back before I bought my Wii.

5. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Only problem I've had with the TC in 5GHz only mode is the range. The my bedroom which is the furthest from the TC, I get a better signal connecting to my Linksys 2.4GHz G network, than the TC 5GHz N network.

If I move just a little bit close, then speeds increase.

I'd say that's more of the 5GHz wavelength effecting it than the TC itself.

-Kevin

6. Zeos macrumors 6502

Had same problem here. Time Capsule locked up and had to hard reset.

7. rayward macrumors 65816

I have tried to set up my TC in bridge mode, and it works but not if I try to make it n-only. I'm going to reset to factory settings both the TC and the AEBS it's bridged from, and see if that works.