Any problems with composite (plastic) back of the watch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by vmflapem, Nov 6, 2017.

1. vmflapem macrumors 6502

Apple downgraded the back material of the Aluminum GPS model from composite with ceramic coating to just composite (i.e. plastic). I believe Apple Watch Series 1 also had composite back. Plastics are going to be very prone to scratches but does this ever interfere with the function of the watch (particularly for measuring heart rates)?

2. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

I'm sure this has been covered since April 2015.

It'll take a lot of scratching to make it harder to read the HR. At that point, you can polish it so it's shiny and smooth again.

/thread

3. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Depending how you treat the watch and it's condition, you should not have a problem with the heart rate sensor. But I would say for the majority, they don't have issues with the composite backing scratching being its on their wrist for the majority if time or docked during charging. It Also depends likely the surface you're setting the watch on that could cause it to scratch.

4. iPhysicist macrumors 65816

iPhysicist

I don’t have problems with the composite back or HR readings. I did polish it for a nicer look a few weeks ago. I had no problems before that — or afterwards. HR reads just fine.