Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
Has anyone had any problems upgrading iPhone 4S to IOS 9.3.6 ? My 4S is currently 9.3.5 and working OK.

1. Download first then upgrade ?

2. Download with WiFi only then upgrade ?

Any advice on upgrading gratefully welcomed

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I've got a 4S on 9.3.5 (not 9.3.6) that works fine (though slow) and there's nooooo way I'm going to install 9.3.6 on it because there's no way to go back to 9.3.5 if it gets wonky. Apple has a long history of introducing new bugs with updates and I don't trust them anymore for a non essential upgrade that might make things worse.

But perhaps I'm the exception. I've become extremely gun shy of iOS updates after having been burned too many times.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
The only thing this update does is fix a GPS time glitch, it's basically the same version. I tried to install it from the Settings app on 9.3.5 but it never updated so I had to use iTunes.

This page explains the update: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210239 so it appears 9.3.5 will become "wonky" as of November 3rd.

I've got a 4S on 9.3.5 (not 9.3.6) that works fine (though slow) and there's nooooo way I'm going to install 9.3.6 on it because there's no way to go back to 9.3.5 if it gets wonky. Apple has a long history of introducing new bugs with updates and I don't trust them anymore for a non essential upgrade that might make things worse.

But perhaps I'm the exception. I've become extremely gun shy of iOS updates after having been burned too many times.

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
Installed IOS 9.3.6 on my iPhone 4S last night through iTunes 12.9.5.5 on my Mac Pro last night.

Initially I couldn't connect to WiFi ( last night ) but today I find that the 4S is connecting to WiFi .. maybe it needed time to realise that it is now IOS 9.3.6. Caching ? No idea.

Everything seems to be working .

What really surprised is that this 4S actually seems to be faster in all operations !

I rarely need nor want to use my 4S for anything besides as a phone + LINE ( social media app popular here in Japan ) , music, photos.

The SIM is from a hobby knife hacked 3GS.

Think of the $$$$ I've saved not upgrading to iPhone 5, 6, 7 .

This 4s does everything I need to do but now a little faster ! ! ! ?

PS : The ONLY thing I've had to do since buying it for ¥5,800 = US$54.49 + 8% sales tax here in Japan in 2015 has been to replace the battery which took about 30 miutes.

Very happy with IOS 9.3.6.

IMPORTANT NOTE : Before starting the IOS 9.3.6 upgrade I set the 'Auto OFF' to Never.

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
While the update is just a bugfix, i heard it can cause some problems on those extremely old phones like the 4s. I guess it's because those phones have not seen an update in a long time (9.3.5 was released in August 2016). Especially when you update over-the-air, it can take forever. I hope you do not experience any issues now with the phone later on.

crazichic

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2020
Has anyone had any problems upgrading iPhone 4S to IOS 9.3.6 ? My 4S is currently 9.3.5 and working OK.

1. Download first then upgrade ?

2. Download with WiFi only then upgrade ?

Any advice on upgrading gratefully welcomed
my old iphone 4s is stuck on ios 9.3.6 wot can a newbie do

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Nothing can be done. 9.3.6 is the last OS for 4S. If need/want a newer OS, will need to get a newer phone.

Devices that supported iOS 10 (4S is not on the list):

crazichic

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2020
Installed IOS 9.3.6 on my iPhone 4S last night through iTunes 12.9.5.5 on my Mac Pro last night.

Initially I couldn't connect to WiFi ( last night ) but today I find that the 4S is connecting to WiFi .. maybe it needed time to realise that it is now IOS 9.3.6. Caching ? No idea.

Everything seems to be working .

What really surprised is that this 4S actually seems to be faster in all operations !

I rarely need nor want to use my 4S for anything besides as a phone + LINE ( social media app popular here in Japan ) , music, photos.

The SIM is from a hobby knife hacked 3GS.

Think of the $$$$ I've saved not upgrading to iPhone 5, 6, 7 .

This 4s does everything I need to do but now a little faster ! ! ! ?

PS : The ONLY thing I've had to do since buying it for ¥5,800 = US$54.49 + 8% sales tax here in Japan in 2015 has been to replace the battery which took about 30 miutes.

Very happy with IOS 9.3.6.

IMPORTANT NOTE : Before starting the IOS 9.3.6 upgrade I set the 'Auto OFF' to Never.
Iv not a clue how to use itunes i wish i did

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.