iPad mini any problems with my iPad mini

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kenny1999, Jan 15, 2014.

1. kenny1999 macrumors member

Few days ago I was trying to connect to the internet in a hotel room which provides free wifi, my iPad mini (with retina display) was unable to connect at all (unable to surf webpages or facebook at all) while at the same time I tried to connect using my iPhone 4S it could connect to the web very well and the speed was very good. I tried to connect to the internet with the devices at the SAME TIME in the SAME LOCATION.

Is there any problems with my iPad mini (wifi version only)? Or is it normal that iPhone 4S has a better wifi connection than iPad mini?

2. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

Happens all the time, some devices connect fine, some don't. It has to do with the wireless router, not your device.

3. kenny1999 thread starter macrumors member

but my iPhone 4S and my iPad mini was trying to connect at the same location, held by my left and right hand. The iPad was unable to connect at all. The iPhone connected perfectly.

4. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

You still don't understand. WiFi connection is a handshake where both parties agree. You can have nothing wrong with your device but the router refuses to connect it because of either some issue on the router or because perhaps the router is configured to only accept connections from certain class of devices, such as phones, and refuse devices that oftentimes abuse the network (laptops, tablets). Is this your first day on the Internet? :D

5. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

Here.

Go to Settings/General/About and copy your device's "Wi-Fi Address" (which is MAC address, google if you don't know what it is, MAC has nothing to do with the Mac :D).

The first 6 "digits" of it identify vendor and model.

rMini has 54:E4:3A
    iPhone 5 has 98:B8:E3

Go to a MAC lookup tool, e.g. http://www.coffer.com/mac_find/

For iPhone 5, it returns Apple.
    For rMini, it can't find anything. So it's probably because it's new and this tool doesn't have it yet in its lookup table.

But if you go to official IEEE table,
    http://standards.ieee.org/develop/regauth/oui/oui.txt

it is there!

So perhaps the router in your hotel doesn't have an up-to-date MAC table and refuses this "unknown" device to connect. Or maybe it refuses all iPads to conserve the traffic, because people are often streaming movies on iPads. Who knows.