Any problems with new 2.66 MBPs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Colin20, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Colin20 macrumors regular

I know the first release othe macbook pros had thier problems with the screen bleeding and hinge problems, etc on the 2.4s and 2.53s. Has anybody here had problems with their new 2.66 MBP?

2. andrew upstairs macrumors 6502

Nope. I did have a the flicker problem with the 2.53. They upgraded me to the 2.66. So far, so good.

3. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

4. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

5. genmic macrumors regular

I have a 2.66 that still has flickering problems with a 9C84 panel. But there is virtually NO backlight bleed like there was on the three other 2.53's I had.

6. bossxii macrumors 68000

7. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Wait they upgraded your 2.53 because the screen flickered? I'm going to the Apple store this weekend for the same issue.

8. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

This is strange for those who have the 2.66. My 2.66 does not flicker and no backlight bleed at all. Maybe I'm so damn lucky.

9. La-vida227 macrumors member

I have a 2.66 here that is running perfectly. Although, when I was first booting it up it did have some lag... the problem went away after the computer loaded for the first time.

10. johnnj macrumors 6502a

I had a 2.4 MBP unibody for a couple of weeks when they first came out last fall. It had some issues like waking up randomly, problems dealing with an external monitor, and a couple of times the screen would go black with a weird band of colors and the audio would go full code. That was freaky.

I got this current 2.66 a week ago and it has NONE of those problems.

I think the battery life is slightly better, too. To me it seems like less of a new release prone to teething pains than it does a more refined minor revision.

In other words, I think that Apple really got its sh*t together with this one.

John

11. Colin20 thread starter macrumors regular

Sounds good guys. I'll be ordering mine next week with student ADC disount! :D

12. ht01us macrumors newbie

Screen flicker and external display snow

I just got my new MBP 15" 2.66 today. My external display blanks out for a second or two when watching video; then this evening when it woke from being asleep I had the complete snow on the external display problem.
    Looks like this was quite a problem late 2008; wonder what the fix is. Guess I'll call the genius bar; luckily for me there are a couple of stores in PDX

Lovely computer; too bad it isn't 100% okay

Getting used to the track pad with no button is "interesting"

13. La-vida227 macrumors member

I too occasionally have the the snow on the external display when I wake up the computer, is it a serious problem?

14. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

so the 2.53's got upgraded to 2.66. did the 2.4's have any kind of upgrade to them? and did the 2.53's have anything else upgraded other than the cpu speed?

15. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

Strange... i don't get this when i wake up the computer but i do get the snow on the external display when i switch to NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT for less then a second and boom, back to normal.

The display will be filled with a colorful digital snow. Kind of like when a TV has no signal.

I hope it's normal.

16. nidrev70 macrumors newbie

Absolutly no problem at all with my 2.66 MBP. Perfect machine!

17. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Mine is due to arrive today, hopefully no problems *fingers crossed* I've never had any problems with Apple computers i've purchased (5 now) knock on wood:)

18. andrew upstairs macrumors 6502

Yep. :)

19. Essjay macrumors regular

Just got my 2.66 yesterday, it is perfect, no dents or anything like I had with a previous 2.53 model. Screen is great too!

20. ht01us macrumors newbie

Did the iLife update fix the problem?

In short, NO.

Go figure; the problem of the black screen for a second and the snow had continued. I went to the Genius Bar where it did not show as a problem (of course). I was getting ready to simplify the setup (unplug a USB hub that I have etc.). But then I installed the various iLife updates that are now available and haven't had the problem.

Now this makes no sense to me; maybe I just haven't been running things long enough to see if the problem repeats.
    1 hour later - still a problem.
    I didn't see how an iLife update could fix the problem and it didn't. I still have the external monitor blank out for about a second at random intervals.
    The guy at the genius bar said that Apple knows about it but doesn't have a fix. I'm going to unplug a bunch of stuff from the unit and try it with just a keyboard, mouse and monitor and see if things are better. More later