Any problems with Windows 7 on leopard?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by RareEarthMetal, Aug 19, 2010.

1. RareEarthMetal macrumors member

RareEarthMetal

I heard there was a problem with the wifi not working.

Do i need snow leopard for full functionality?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

It's all about the Boot Camp 3.x drivers, which you get with SL. Even if you don't want to upgrade your OS X install, you would benefit from having the W7 compatible drivers. You can buy the $29 upgrade and use it only for the drivers.

B

3. journeyerdb macrumors newbie

Moving Drivers

Balamw, how do you move the drivers from SL to lep w/o upgrade?

I have been researching the addition of parellals and win 7 for a work software program I need that requires windows. However, I don't want to upgrade to SL, but am hearing about the wifi problems, so trying to plan ahead.

Found this post and trying to understand if I buy SL and have the disk, how do I get the drivers off of it and where do I put them in lep?

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Install Windows. Boot to Boot Camp Windows. Insert SL disc, install drivers (automatically via autorun, if not manually). Leave OS X alone.

B

5. vistadude macrumors 65816

i just installed windows 7 this weekend. Performance is very good except it is terrible in windows xp mode (virtual PC). It's much worse than comparable and older PC's, but most people won't use this feature. The trackpad also sucks due to the bootcamp driver. Other than that, everythings works. Wifi works fine. There's even a cool shortcut by pressing the windows key + x which gives you a wifi on/off toggle.