iPad Any professional designers/artists use the iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TSE, Jan 4, 2014.

1. TSE macrumors 68030

Thinking about going either with a Wacom drawing tablet with Photoshop on the computer, or an iPad for sketching/drawing models. Industrial design student here.

I see there are lots of pressure sensitive pens and such for the iPad... are there professional quality software and such?

Obviously you can draw professional quality drawings with a Wacom tablet and Photoshop... it's just not portable and the whole concept of drawing something that appears on a different screen is tough to get over for me.

If you could recommend a pen, which one would you guys recommend? And applications?

Thank you very much guys!

2. Roykor, Jan 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2014

Roykor macrumors 6502

I am an illustrator, making drawings is what i do for a living. i am verry interested in this to. So far i know there are no good solutions sofar for the ipad. i think we need to look to the Galaxt Note tablets at this moment for the best experiance, but i am not sure if Photoshop is availeble.

I hope that Apple put some real wacom technology into their new (bigger) iPad. I would love to make sketches on it! :D

3. Electa macrumors member

I would recommend the original surface pro. You draw right on the screen, and it's around the same price as an iPad, $600. It has a built in digitizer so I feel like it would be perfect for you.

4. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

if you're at all serious, Mac + Wacom.

5. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

I just can't get used to the whole concept of drawing on tablet, but it goes on the screen disconnect. Any tips/alternatives?

6. eric237 macrumors newbie

As an industrial design student as well I agree, but there are some professionals that use the iPad for sketching.

In this video, Leo Chang, head designer of Nike Basketball, uses the Adonit Jot Touch with an iPad.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnaurOzaOGU

I think the Jot Touch and the Wacom Creative stylus are the best options right now. I am waiting to see how well the Adobe Project Mighty & Napolean work, when it releases later this year.
    http://xd.adobe.com/mighty/notify.html
    https://www.behance.net/gallery/Project-Mighty-Napoleon-How-it-was-done/8440167

7. Altis macrumors 68030

I second this... digitizer is a must for this type of use. iPad doesn't hold up well in this category, sadly.

8. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

How good is the Surface digitizer vs. a Wacom? I know the Wacom Intuos Pro has 2048 points of pressure.

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

10. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

Anyone who has used a wacom tablet for sketching and writing can testify how awkward it is, certainly initially. Some people adjust; many do not.

And what a tired swipe at windows and the Surface. Read any comments forum on the surface and you'll see users are overwhelmingly impressed with the device.

My advice--skip the ipad for serious artwork. Get an android or--preferably--windows tablet.

11. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

The Surface digitizer IS Wacom. But only 1024 points of pressure. I own an old Intuos 2 (2048 levels) as well as the Surface Pro with its 1024. I can't tell the difference as far as pressure levels go. Maybe a real professional artist can, but I'm happy with the Surface Pro as a sketching tablet.

That being said, I also use a MacBook Pro and iPad Air. My iPad Air (with Pencil by 53) ends up being my go-to for casual sketching, play, painting, and working up concepts. The Surface Pro is what I use when it's time to do more pressure-sensitive sketching and painting.

12. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

i agree on the paper app--lots of fun. offtopic (sort of) how is the "pencil" palm rejection. I would have thrown $50 at this but the 4-6 week delivery was discouraging

13. omni macrumors 6502

I use a wacom intuous creative stylus (2048 pressure) along with procreate.

I personally hate photoshop and avoid it whenever possible.

14. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

I've been pleasantly surprised with Pencil! It registers quite nicely in Paper as well as a "dumb stylus" in Procreate. I can use a nice, light touch and not have to worry about the line skipping out on me or not starting.

Prior to getting Pencil I was having issues with having to press harder while using several other styli (original Wacom Bamboo, Boxwave Evertouch, etc). Griped about in this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1671553

I wanted the walnut version, but they were sold out, so I ordered the graphite and was pleasantly surprised when I got it a week later! I was all geared up for the 4-6 weeks waiting and I guess they must have worked through their backlog. I ordered on 12/25 and it shipped on 12/27. It arrived on 12/30! :)

Biggest wishes are that Paper would have layers... or that other apps would begin using their API (when they release it) so we can have palm rejection in Procreate. The palm rejection works great in Paper though, I've been happy with it. The one quirk I'm still trying to get used to is that occasionally it will think I'm using my finger and start blending when I'm actually trying to draw. So that's a little irritating, but easily fixed with rewind. Not sure if that's me still getting used to the Pencil or just a bit of glitchiness.

15. omni macrumors 6502

In paper, under options for Pencil - you can change one of the options so that the finger always draws instead of blends.

I draw 95% of the time like this - then go back in to turn blending back on.

16. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

I have an illustrator/designer friend who uses a Galaxy Note 10.1. Seems to work very well for him, might wanna look into that.

17. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

Thanks for your comments on pencil--i will give it a shot. What i like about paper its simplicity--the tools are sort of crude and there are no layers. The water colour effect is striking. I find with paper i tend to forsake form--certainly detail--and work a lot with color. I know the flip book is gimmiky--but i really enjpy flipping though my sketches.

I think they shoiuld make animated sketchbooks exportable to you tube. You heard it here first

Finally--jot pro is worst for drop outs--although i like the clear saucer tip conceptually.

18. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

Thanks for the tip! I noticed the option but was thinking, "Naw, I still want to blend on the fly." But you have a point... I don't need to blend at the same time that I'm drawing necessarily. I can put down the paint and then go to a blend mode. Good idea!