Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marklight

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
I just really need something to create brochures and can handle publisher files. I guess if I can't find anything I'll just use VMware Fusion

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Um...

Apple Pages '08 (Part of Apple iWork '08) - This is what most consumers seem to prefer. I use this for most projects myself.

Adobe InDesign CS3 (Part of Adobe CS3) - This is what most professionals seem to prefer. I use this for a lot of projects that require it.

Scribus (Stand-alone, and free) - This is still better than Publisher.

Publisher - Evil. Never ever use it ever again.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
I use Publisher at school...

I checked swift publishers site, but I can't tell- are you able to import and export Microsoft Publisher files?

and I glad it's not my computer and that Publisher is not on my computer! It's totally incompatible with people that don't have publisher on their computers. I've used Publisher docs in attachments to emails and 75% of my recipients can't open the doc or when it does open it's in shambles and everything overlaps and the wrong font size is displayed. It's just Uuuuggglllyyy! :(

Check out Pages and InDesign CS/3

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
I just really need something to create brochures and can handle publisher files. I guess if I can't find anything I'll just use VMware Fusion
What everyone is trying to tell you is not to use Publisher. Nothing outside Windows can open Publisher files. It is a gross imposition to send Publisher files to users who do not have the Windows version of Office.

Mac In School

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
Print shops hate Publisher files too. Then again, they probably wouldn't wouldn't appreciate a Pages "file" either.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Print shops hate Publisher files too. Then again, they probably wouldn't wouldn't appreciate a Pages "file" either.

No, but at least Pages makes it super easy to save things as PDF, which I'm sure anybody would rather take over a Publisher file any day.

exegete77

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
Anything but Publisher... even on the Windows side.

I have a friend who converted to Mac at the beginning of the year for her photography business. She looked for something that could handle brochures, etc. She tried Swift Publisher and was thoroughly satisfied, which says a lot considering her speciality.

You might also consider PageStream which is available for OS X, Win, Linux, and Amiga.

mlac007

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2007
Being a professional designer, I totally agree - Quarkxpress (even older versions), PageMaker (again an older version is fine), or Indesign - Markzware makes a microcrap publishcrap to indesign converter to help make life a little easier.....

Publisher = NO WAY!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.