Any programmer students in here?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by npolly0212, Nov 17, 2015.

1. npolly0212 macrumors 65816

i am currently going after my bachelors degree in computer science. Want to do some applications development when I graduate so figured I would start a thread and see if anyone else is in the same path as me?

I am a student at the university of South Carolina, have 2 years left towards my degree before I can Graduate, hope they go by fast lol.

Just figured this would be a nice thread to talk about school/programming/classes and whatnot if any other college students around, or anyone older has anything to throw into the thread!

I am currently learning Java and have started my UNIX/Linux, c and c+ programming. Next semester getting more in depth on c and c+ And have some computer architecture class to begin.

2. iPaintCode macrumors regular

iPaintCode

I would recommend you venture into functional programming as Java, C and C++ are very limiting though great for backend/web service layers (think DevOps). I think it's great experience to learn the core principles of the languages you're learning at school but again you should learn functional as well, you will thank me later.

3. npolly0212 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah I'm only in my first true semester here after transferring. Have 2 years took band it's all coding courses lol. So pretty sure I will learn some of the good coding languages to know coming soon

4. iPaintCode macrumors regular

iPaintCode

I should have clarified limiting in the sense of the lack of expressiveness not the power of the language. What I meant my limiting, Java is your typical classical object-oriented language (strict typed) and is not very malleable like JavaScript. That can be a blessing but also a huge resounding curse.

Good luck, BTW check out www.leanpub.com a lot of amazing digital books and won't break your bank.

5. npolly0212 thread starter macrumors 65816

I appreciate it, will definitely check it out