Any programming apps like eclipse for iPad?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by npolly0212, Nov 14, 2015.

1. npolly0212 macrumors 65816

i have to use eclipse in school for programming, they tell us it's easiest for us and recommend it..
    Just wondering if there are any apps quite like eclipse for the iPad to program from? If not what's a good programming app?
    Thanks in advance

2. AxoNeuron, Nov 14, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2015

AxoNeuron macrumors 65816

AxoNeuron

If you want to program on a tablet, get a surface ;) It's got an x86 processor, so it can run full blown Windows, meaning you will have all the programming tools you want.

However, if you really want to, Coda for iOS is pretty good. I've used it in a fix to edit my Node.js server, it's can even do SSH as well as FTP access, so it's pretty awesome.

3. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

There's the Pythonista app, with which you can actually write App Store-acceptable apps. But it's for Python. Sure is wonderful though.

(Not sure I'd agree that Eclipse is "easiest", but that's a different story.)

Now that the iPad Pro is out, I expect more programming options will follow, in time.

4. npolly0212 thread starter macrumors 65816

I appreciate the comments guys, I am definitely going to check them put!

5. AxoNeuron macrumors 65816

AxoNeuron

I just used Coda for iOS again to refresh my memory and WOW it's amazing. It has such an incredible number of capabilities. I just connected to an FTP server of mine, downloaded some source files, used a .pem private key to connect to my AWS server via SSH, etc.

What an amazing app, works on iPad and iPhone.

I still would recommend programming on a laptop over a tablet, or a Surface. But if you are intent on programming on iOS, then Coda is the way to go.

6. npolly0212 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks guys, just downloaded coda and pythonista (gonna tech my self some programming with Python) can't wait to check them out!