Any programs similar to frontpage?

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by likejackansally, Apr 28, 2009.

1. likejackansally macrumors newbie

Is there a FREE basic program in existance similar to frontpage on windows; which would translate your coding into product so you have a preview before you decided upload it?

Of course I'm looking for something to download to the mac... and I do NOT want frontpage, because when you go back to view it for the idiots who don't know code it becomes cluttered script.

Thanks!

2. dmz macrumors regular

dmz

Similar to FrontPage - NOT!

Almost all HTML coding programs on the Mac provide a previewing function, and thankfully, none of them are ANYTHING like FrontPage. You could try Sea Monkey for a basic start, then there's Coda, Komodo Edit, Taco, Rage, BBedit, Freeway and of couse, DreamWeaver. CSSEdit is a handy utility.

Just because someone doesn't understand HTML code, doesn't make them an idiot. That kind of attitude is discouraged around here - temper your comments and you'll get intelligent answers. Freeway does not require ANY coding, and a lot of people believe that's the way it should be, others prefer the raw coding power of Komodo or BBedit. The Mac is all about choice - Frontpage is all about NOT having any choices. Yuccccch!

Just my two-cents' worth,

dmz

3. likejackansally thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't mean to come off that way, sorry.

Are any or all the programs included on the macbook? I just purchased mine last week and I am away from it right now. Which would you say provides the most basic funtion (thats all I'm really after).

Thanks for your response!:D

4. likejackansally thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not exactly sure what to make of this though..
    My situation is, I have several homepages which I code entirely with html and css... What I am after is something that easily allows me to see the code I write, preview it and then easily re-edit without being online submitting the information to the website and then having to re edit from there. Its a nuisance to continuously hit sumbit, preview and then back up and edit and then do that over and over til I get it exactly how I want.

5. dmz macrumors regular

dmz

None of those programs come on your Mac, but you'll find Preview and TextEdit on your Mac, and they are handy for graphic conversions and .doc->html conversions. I find TextEdit is the ONLY tool I can use for those conversions, it creates nice, clean, straight-up HTML, everything else spews out highly over-coded gibberish. It can also open webarchive files - created by saving a page from Safari - just like saving a page from Explorer as an archive and opening it in FrontPage.

You should try Sea-Monkey first - it's free, and I think it may be all you need. Komodo Edit is open-source, so again, no charge, but it may be more what you're looking for if you need site management tools. Coda(www.panic.com) is an Apple Design Award winner, and takes a while to get used to, but it grows on you very fast - especially the CSS editor - it's sweet. Coda al$o co$t$ money - $99, or $85 if you already have Transmit - panic's FTP client, which you don't need. You will need an ftp program of some kind ... CyberDuck is well-liked around here, as is Transmit, and there are at least a half-dozen more... check out the site Open Source Mac for lots of cool OSS. (www.opensourcemac.org)

dmz

6. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

you dont need to upload files to preview them, you can view them on your hdd by just opening the html files in a browser

7. Prekesh macrumors regular

Prekesh

I personally use Coda along side Dreamweaver. Using Coda more though, Dreamweaver only so i can edit in the Design view, then tweak the code in Coda.

8. dmz macrumors regular

dmz

As I said, all the programs I mentioned (and I forgot RapidWeaver, a great tool worth a look), provide some kind of either built-in preview(SeaMonkey, Coda), or a way to send your code to your choice of browsers on your Mac in a "live" preview format (BBedit, Komodo, GoLive).

All these tools allow you to build your website in a local directory, which you can then mirror to your online host when you want to. For that, you need a good FTP program. Happy coding!

dmz

9. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Coda for the win.

Only free one I can think of, off hand, is NVU.