Any programs to zero out your hard drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Gregintosh, Jun 21, 2008.

1. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

Like if you wanted to sell your mac to someone else and you wanted to ensure your data is unrecoverable for privacy reasons, what software program (preferably free) would you use?

2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....uhhh, maybe Disk Utility since it comes with the OS already....oh yeah!

3. stealthninja macrumors member

stealthninja

I'd use disk utility, it's free and it's already installed. Enable the security options when erasing and you should be fine.

4. Gregintosh thread starter macrumors 68000

So even if its hooked up to something like On Track or those programs that are used to recover lost partitions and even formatted over files won't find anything if I use Disk Utility?

Edit: Wow, I just looked over all those extended options you guys just pointed out. I'm impressed. Thanks!

5. stealthninja macrumors member

stealthninja

If you use the security option "7-Pass Erase" it should be extremely difficult if not impossible to recover any data from the disk after erasure.

This may help even though it's from 10.4:
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303462

also:
    i've read that the "35-pass erase" can take a whole day or more to complete, so just fair warning if you really want to go to that level of security (probably unnecessary)