Any progress in printing through AEBS with 10.5.2?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dborja, Feb 12, 2008.

1. dborja macrumors 6502a

I have a Canon IP6600D connected to my AEBS USB that stopped working with 10.5; it prints a line or two then stops with a connection failure. It used to work when installed as a Bonjour printer in 10.4.

Is there a fix now with 10.5.2?

TIA,
    Dale

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Are you sure this is an overall Leopard problem and not just your specific setup? It's not the same printer, but I have an IP4300 on an AEBS, and it prints fine from two different machines on Leopard.

I did, however, have to re-set it up after the upgrade (though in my case it wasn't printing at all). If you haven't already tried this, you might see what happens if you remove the printer from the AEBS and your Mac(s), reinstall the driver for the heck of it, re-attach it, and re-add it to the list of printers.

3. dborja thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'll try that. After updating my iBook and iMac last night, all I tried was remove then re-add the Canon printer in the printer list. Tonight, after updating my :apple:TV and playing around with it for a bit, I might go through the full uninstall and reinstall of the printer.

Thanks,
    Dale

4. Makosuke macrumors 603

Oh, I forgot to mention, I also power-cycled the AEBS after disconnecting the printer. Don't know if this was necessary, but it only adds a minute to the process, so you might as well do that too.

5. dborja thread starter macrumors 6502a

Still NoGo with my printer. Somebody suggested setting it up as an IP printer using the Jetdirect settings and using the AEBS IP address so I might try that tonight. I'd rather it just work as it had in 10.4 though...

6. DaveF macrumors 6502a

Works for me. Printed last night through AEBS to Canon Pixma MP600. Sorry to hear about your troubles.

7. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

Question - Can you use the scanner and other features on your MP600 series when connected to the AEBS?

8. dborja thread starter macrumors 6502a

Update

I called AppleCare yesterday and the tech patiently worked with me to check settings and testing the printer from iMac waking from sleep and powering-up. One thing we did change in our troubleshooting was turning on sharing the printer from Leopard then printing a test page then turning sharing back off. It now has been working for the last 24 hours without requiring any special action. Weird, as the printer is connected to my AEBS which is connected via Ethernet to my iMac so the toggling shouldn't be directly related to my problem. Even my iBook can print now via WiFi...

I don't know if toggling the share switch on my iMac Leopard propagated to the AEBS or whether its a combination of re-installing the printer driver, cycling power o the printer and AEBS and the toggling but I'm now a happy camper. 'Hope this might help somebody having similar problems... :)

9. tothelimit macrumors regular

tothelimit

I had the Canon imageCLASS MF4150 and in researching (and eventually discovering that I couldn't use it for network printing AT ALL) I came across this document on apple's support page:
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107418

It notes, "Before you start, remember that base station printer sharing is for printing only, not for printer utilities or other special features that may require a direct, proprietary connection."