Any proof of 5.5 inch iPhone 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RobbySkateboard, Aug 19, 2014.

1. RobbySkateboard macrumors regular

I understand according to rumors a 5.5 inch iphone 6 has been "delayed" but wouldn't we have more concrete proof of one? I haven't searched the depths of the internet, but I haven't seen a leaked photo of a 5.5 inch screen or shell or anything other than a larger battery and a logic board, which could be just test parts. We've seen TONS of information about the 4.7inch, but it's basically just been speculative things that were said, and less physical leaks. Is there something I'm missing? I would love a 5.5inch screen personally (I know most wouldn't) but I haven't seen anything definitive.

2. jlake02, Aug 19, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2014

jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Some speculate that Taiwan's announcement of approval for 2 new Apple products means 4.7" AND 5.5" are coming.

There have been a few sketchy releases of alleged screen parts and battery and processor rumors as well.

According to 5.5" believers, one reason there have been so few parts leaked is because the 5.5" is delayed and didn't start production until August, while the 4.7" started in July.

Hope that helps :)

3. burgman macrumors 65816

burgman

Actually is was Thailand but at least it starts with a "T" :cool:

4. cnotes2019 Suspended

Is there proof or info that in fact the new iPhones will use sapphire glass? I keep seeing rumors of analysts saying that it won't be utilized now but in future iPhones.

5. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Doh, you're right. Nice catch. :D

6. Infinitewisdom macrumors 6502a

I'm still skeptical about the existence of a 5.5", at least one that would be released at the same time as the 4.7". There just isn't enough evidence out there yet, like OP pointed out. We'll see though, as the major news outlets like WSJ and bloomberg have all but confirmed the existence of both.

7. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

With this logic, the only product Apple will be releasing is the 4.7 inch iPhone. That is very unlikely.

8. Chrsanthny5, Aug 19, 2014

Chrsanthny5 macrumors regular

tbfh if they can't get the 5.5 out for 4 months after the 4.7 why not just wait until next year?

9. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

Nope. No proof. There won't be a 5.5" iPhone 6.

10. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

No, there's no proof.
    Except some 'part leaks' that could be absolutely anything.

If there isn't a 5.5" iPhone released, I won't be mad. I am planning on getting the 4.7" anyway - assuming that it exists.

11. Markiie macrumors 6502

Markiie

I just read a article which is stating that Apple might delay the 5.5 not only for production issues but also to help the 4.7 sell.....

there is Four ways of looking at this and........

1. People will hold out and wait for the 5.5 such as myself. I'm sure the 4.7 is going to be a amazing phone but just based on rumors, it's not enough of a phone for me to jump and get it. Seems like it will be a water down version of the 4.7. I also think they will show the 5.5 at the Keynote and say something like "to be released in xxxx" This will hold the 5.5 buyers from buying any other device.

2. The people who end up buying the 4.7 just to upgrade to the 5.5. (Best Possible situation for Apple to make the most money)
    Yes, there are going to be people who need the latest and greatest. If the 5.5 is delayed a few months some might buy a 4.7 and upgrade to the 5.5 once that becomes available.

3. The 5.5 crowd go out and buy the Note 4. (WORST CASE)

4. No 5.5

Personally, I'm torn. 3 months ago I would've said the 5.5 is a foregone conclusion and it was going to come. Now, with the shortage of leaked parts for it....I have to agree with 1080p and some others who don't believe its coming. Until Sonny Dickson or someone with his creditability releases some more leaked parts I'm going to say right not the 5.5 won't be released until 9/2016.

12. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Agreed. If Apple says "We'll release 5.5 inches in time for the holidays" I'm getting a 4.7". I'll wait until next year for the 5.5"

13. Enabledobject macrumors 6502

Enabledobject

Keep in mind we've barely seen any fully legit 4.7 parts either. Just some parts that have been recycled as new leaks every couple weeks for the past three months. Lots of clone/dummy parts too.
    I think we've seen just as many legit 5.5 parts as we have 4.7 parts (cables/internal parts and such)

14. HobeSoundDarryl, Aug 19, 2014

HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    There has been the protruding lens and the much bigger battery, both of which are dismissed because the argument "no parts leaks" loses most of its punch if there's even one part(s) leak. Better to ignore those or spin them as being only for prototypes or other Apple hardware than have to lose the strength of that punch.

There's also very credible references to 5.5" iPhones offered by WSJ and Bloomberg but, of course, in this particular instance, they "don't know what they're talking about". However, any references to iWatch in spite of nary a single part leak is generally met with full expectations of an iWatch. So apparently, only THIS rumored product can't exist.

Again, I go to the money argument. Deliver both sizes to fully compete with the most tangible feature (or benefit) of the Android smart phones. That would make it possible for anyone who desires a bigger screen enough to buy Android to now have a genuine alternative that runs iOS. Bite into that market at only 4.7" and Apple probably leaves the >5" screen buyers to continue giving their money to competitors like Samsung for up to another year. Why do that?

In the Samsung trial, Apple documents made it clear that Apple believes the market has moved on to bigger screen phones (that's why Apple is abandoning the previously spun "perfect" sizes of 3.5" and then 4"). And the gist of the financial remedy was "lost sales" due to Samsung wooing would-be iPhone buyers away with their bigger screen phones. If Apple believes what it shared in court, it only makes sense to roll out something toward 5" and something toward 6" so that there is an iOS something to appeal to ALL that business lost to Samsung and other Android phones.

"We" see 4.7" as a big increase and 5.5" as HUGE because we are accustomed to 4" iPhones. But the big-screen Android crowd has seen phones with screens bigger than 6". To them, 5.5" might be close enough to compromise some size to get iOS, while 4.7" might be "too small". Apple knows it will sell "us" whatever Apple rolls out. I think a 5.5" is about wooing the Android crowd (though some of us will be happy to go 5.5" too).

A highly revolutionary (complete) design change of the Mac Pro had it's first rumor hit only 5 days before Apple revealed it to the public. Relative to it's predecessor design, that change was MASSIVE and yet, not a rumor and not a part until 5 days before it was revealed. A 5.5" iPhone is a screen .8" bigger than a 4.7" iPhone with nearly everything else likely to be the same or close to it.

And OP, no rumors are definitive. While the rumors have piled up that a bigger-screened iPhone is impending, until Apple takes the stage and rolls them out, anything can happen. If you want definitive, you have to get the word straight from Apple. If you want "maybe", "probably" or perhaps "likely", an increasing pile of rumors may imply what is going to happen.

15. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

With Apple there is no proof of anything until it is officially announced.

16. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I dunno, the iPhone 4 "left in a bar" leak was pretty solid. ;)

17. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Ok well I was 10 or 9 then so how should I have remembered that? Lol

18. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

You wacky kids.

19. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

so ur 13 or 14?

20. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Edit: Now that I think about it my math might have been a bit off. Oh well....

21. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

The "proof" is in the announcement. Which isn't happening till next month. :apple:

22. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I think there will be 2 iphones released, but the 5.5" isn't one of them. Likely the 4.7" iPhone 6 and the C version whatever size it is - it's probably these 2 models that Thailand mentioned.

23. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

that would SUCK...

actually come to think of it, why would they "announce" an already existing one?

24. Jack snakeskin macrumors member

Macrumors doesn't doubt it's existence only it's possible release date,that alone should be proof enough

25. thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

May have been off? I don't think that is debatable. It was off :p

My personal opinion: I don't think we'll see 5.5" until next year. The sales of the 4.7 will be through the roof for Apple this holiday quarter. I feel like analysts are always delayed by a year. So if they predict it will come this year...Definitely see it next year