Any Psychologists here?

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
2,284
38
So, are there any (certified) psychologists on the boards? I want to become a psychopathologist. My interests so far include the affective disorders and schizophrenia.

I will end it there, just in case you're all Computer Science majors and think I'm crazy. :)
 

Jackie.Cane

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2006
58
0
Canada
I have a masters in research psychology (developmental), but I am not a clinician.

I have worked with many grad students and professors who are though, if you had any questions I could try and help.:)
 

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
4,347
1
*Sssshh, he's typing*
*Shut up, I can't think*
*It's my turn to talk*

Never mind the DID, which one of us would you like to speak with?
*Annngh, that black apple logo..ick..I see lots of butterflies in New York*
*Were you ever in New York?*
*Niagra Falls*
*Niagra Falls?! Slowly I turn. Step by step*
*Knock it off, he's done typing*
 

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
2,284
38
Jackie.Cane said:
I have a masters in research psychology (developmental), but I am not a clinician.

I have worked with many grad students and professors who are though, if you had any questions I could try and help.:)
Nice to meet you. :) I'm helping to set up a psychophysiology lab, later we'll be doing research on depression and anxiety. I'm not sure if research is for me, or clinical practice, teaching, etc. But I'm fairly confident it's one of those.

When did you know psychology was for you?
 

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
2,284
38
xsedrinam said:
*Sssshh, he's typing*
*Shut up, I can't think*
*It's my turn to talk*

Never mind the DID, which one of us would you like to speak with?
*Annngh, that black apple logo..ick..I see lots of butterflies in New York*
*Were you ever in New York?*
*Niagra Falls*
*Niagra Falls?! Slowly I turn. Step by step*
*Knock it off, he's done typing*
Hilarity. :D
 

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
29,777
12
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I'm in training...I have an MS and am getting ready to do qualifying exams.... My area is mixed child and adult neuropsychology and in research I'm interested in biological bases of depression too.
 

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2005
1,491
2,144
I have the BA in psychology, but stopped there. Though I do apply a lot of what I learned in psychology for my art and concepts.
 

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
2,284
38
mkrishnan said:
I'm in training...I have an MS and am getting ready to do qualifying exams.... My area is mixed child and adult neuropsychology and in research I'm interested in biological bases of depression too.
Cool! Good luck with your studying. :)

Really anyone can share, I just wanted to get a discussion going on psychology.

FrankieTDouglas said:
I have the BA in psychology, but stopped there. Though I do apply a lot of what I learned in psychology for my art and concepts.
I take it you're an artist then? Freelance?
 

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
32,199
6
Adelaide, Australia
Done a quick psychology degree (well, a few more weeks until it's "done") but want to then do medicine and eventually psychiatry. I liked psychology as a course although found it was taught with too much of a theoretical bias. Schizophrenia is a pretty interesting condition to study. I'm probably going to focus more on depression and bipolar disorders. :)
 

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
2,284
38
mad jew said:
Done a quick psychology degree (well, a few more weeks until it's "done") but want to then do medicine and eventually psychiatry. I liked psychology as a course although found it was taught with too much of a theoretical bias. Schizophrenia is a pretty interesting condition to study. I'm probably going to focus more on depression and bipolar disorders. :)
I thought about psychiatry, but MD is a whole new ballgame, not sure I'd make it. Are you taking some time off, before you apply to medical school?
 

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
2,284
38
mad jew said:
Yeah, six months just to save up some money. Won't have quite so much spare time when medicine starts. :(
I'm afraid of stopping, I might not be able to start again. :p
 

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
2,284
38
We're the cool people, 'cause we're up late.

MACDRIVE said:
You guys forgot to mention OCD. :(
We can't forget OCD, I have OCD.

We can't forget OCD, I have OCD.

We can't forget OCD, I have OCD.
 

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
2,284
38
I redo stuff over and over. It's a pain in the ass.

It turns out real polished though! :D
 

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
2,284
38
And there's like no treatment for it... you really have to talk yourself out of it, I guess. I find that's really tough.