Any Pulse users? RSS Redefined?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by VirtualRain, May 31, 2010.

1. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Thoughts? This app looks like RSS reading redefined!

2. Fazzl macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

3. VirtualRain thread starter macrumors 603

VirtualRain

4. rockafella macrumors member

One of my fav apps hands down. Best app to read RSS feeds IMO, rich, gives me new experience. No more checking on my Google Reader page now.

This app is simply amazing. I love it!

5. VirtualRain thread starter macrumors 603

VirtualRain

I understand it's limited to 20 RSS feeds... does anyone find this limiting?

Does it offer any kind of offline reading?

6. rockafella macrumors member

I didn't know about that limit but I assume you meant 20 sources? I think that is quite reasonable, at least for me, since I could choose which source feeds to pull from and I'd pick my top sources.

Besides, having more than 20 sources could potentially hog the iPad's memory, no? slowing it down, hence consequently compromising Pulse's rich RSS browsing/reading experience.

Offline reading feature has been requested in the forums, hopefully the developers would implement it in the future updates.

7. EnderTW macrumors 6502

Ugh. I have over twenty feeds in my economics folder alone. Don't waste your money on this if you're a heavy rss user. Ie more than 20 feeds.

Newsrack has been the best rss reader I have used. Sometimes the simplest form is the cost efficient form.

8. normwood macrumors 6502a

normwood

I actually prefer Newsrack and the ability to mark as read.

I have Pulse but only glance at it for local news sources. I don't particularly care for the layout or the dark theme. It's depressing.

Curious to see Mobile RSS come out with an RSS Reader.

Steve

9. VirtualRain thread starter macrumors 603

VirtualRain

You can't mark stuff as "read"? That's no good.

BTW mods should merge this with the other recent thread. :rolleyes:

10. kaelell macrumors 6502

I find 20 more then adequete for the nature of the app, dont want it being overwhelming. i use it for of my most read sources, open sitting on my desk for stuff that caches my eye, but for when I want to do some serious reading I still use newsrack.

11. ZMRoach macrumors regular

ZMRoach

I actually really like that it limits you to 20 feeds. I only put what I would actually read on my list and it's been great so far.

That's not to say that I'm not still looking forward to Reeder for iPad though.

12. imacdaddy macrumors 6502a

It's a nice app but there's a lot that I don't like about it.

1. cannot mark as read
    2. buggy and crashes on me (I've got less than 20 sources displayed)
    3. dark theme
    4. logo looks like its flipping me the bird

13. VirtualRain thread starter macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Thanks... Not being able to mark as read seems dumb.

I'm gonna wait for these guys to mature the app a bit before pulling the trigger. There are a lot of reviews of buggy behaviour as well.

One of the problems with the Gold Rush mentality to the App Store is the compromises made for the sake of getting to market fast - often with a crappy quality product.

14. DKatri macrumors 6502

When you have read an article the font of the title changes from white to grey. not exactly marked as read but it kinda does.

Agreed, it crashes far too often

meh, I like it

It is

15. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

I have it. I like it for the most part, but I only read a few feeds.

Regarding the number of feeds, The problem as I see it, is that even if it supported more than 20 feeds, navigating them would either be slow and cumbersome, or have to change, taking it away from what currently separates it from other readers.

Being that it's highly graphical and not folder based, each feed takes up about an inch of vertical screen space. Imagine scrolling through 40 inches of screen to get to the last feed. With all the thumbnails it loads from various sites, even a scrolling through a few feeds can be sluggish, let alone dozens. It works great for a small number of feeds, but it's essentially a giant list of feeds. The devs seem to understand this, which may be why they are hesitant to allow the addition of unlimited feeds. It could also be a stability issue.

The pinchable gallery paradigm of the Photos app, which looks to be what Reeder for ipad will be based on, seems to be the answer to a slick graphical interface with a large variety of news sources.