Any quick veggie recipes you folks love?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by cleanup, Jul 25, 2008.

1. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

I'm in school, and I often don't like cooking, not because it's not enjoyable, but because it consumes too much of my time. I lose 45 minutes to an hour and a half making a meal, not including cleanup (ha), and often this is only complicated by the presence of that delicious, mouthwatering, tempting and ultimately unhealthy stuff: meat.

It's gotten to the point where my laziness has exceeded my love for meat and I've discovered myself eating less and less meat as time goes on. My health has benefitted. I still get protein after going to the gym but I've also started to feast on berries, cherries, grape tomatoes and the like. Easy veggies. The only meat I get is the occasional bacon and egg for breakfast, the odd dabble of deli cold cuts or the occasional frozen chicken wings (not often).

This isn't the case when I eat out though. When I eat out, meat is just a few dollars and a few minutes away, so I order like a madman, and I eat chicken katsu at my favourite sushi place, a Cold Cut Combo at the nearest Subway, or a steaming hot bowl of chicken dolsot at any Korean eatery with decent hot sauce.

Eating out is expensive, though. I want to save money, now that I am earning it on my own. Meat, by nature, is also expensive. It has to be born and raised and skinned and tenderized and seasoned and packaged and chilled before it can be even sold! And then it lasts only a couple of days! Meat, inherently, is an expensive, resource-wasting, unhealthy food. The only payback is its taste, given the many alternative sources of protein.

So, getting to the chase...

What are some nice quick veggie recipes you guys like to whip up every now and then? I know I can check the web but I wanted to hear from fellow computer geeks, Mac enthusiasts and electronics nerds like myself, what veggie/tofu/nut Frankenstein creation do you manage to choke down every now and then because.. by God.. it actually tastes pretty good!

Thanks!

2. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

Mushrooms, peppers, summer squash, onions, tomatoes, soaked in worchester sauce, grilled in an aluminum foil tent. GREAT.

3. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Well, you are asking a lot! It's difficult to make vege foods quickly.

However, I will offer you this... I made a vege/tofu lasagna that is out of this world! It took some time, but you can freeze it and eat it for days. Interested? (Cause it'll take a little time to type it up, since I made it in my head first!)

Also, by veggie, do you mean no cheese? Cause that makes it harder.

4. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

actually, you can eat a whole bunch of veggies raw. bell peppers, tomatoes, celery, spinach, zucchini, etc. just make a salad out of it and that should do it. add your fav spices to make it taste better. the only one i don't like eating raw is onion, i hate the taste of it uncooked. that's my best bet if you have no time to cook.

5. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

Veggie lasagna with sautéed squash and zucchini as meat replacement.

Always better as leftovers.

6. AlexH macrumors 68000

AlexH

I'm interested! With cheese please!

7. Heavy Fluid macrumors 6502

Boil your favorite kind of pasta noodles. Cut up your favorite raw vegetables. Mix in bowl. Add in 1 bottle of your choice of Italian dressing. Add some lemon juice and vinegar. Chill overnight. Eat next day.

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Quinoa, rinsed & drained, then barely more water than quinoa added, brought to a boil and taken off to let stand. Add frozen peas, maybe some chopped and fried onion, and then add soy sauce or miso.

Stir fry = any type of veggies chopped, olive oil, chopped ginger root, garlic, roasted red pepper & garlic seasoning from Costco.
    Sweetpotato / yams very thinly sliced into 'chips" ('crisps' for the UK contingent) is good. Fried up firm tofu is good too. Almonds and cashews. Secret to a stir fry is you add the veggies in reverse order of their tenderness. Onions first, then the fibrous stuff like celery that takes a longer time to cook. Tender stuff that cooks quickly or overcooks and goes limp, should be added last. Have a cover ready for the pan, so when you add noodles or beansprouts at the end, you can slap the cover on to steam them. As sesame seed, sunflower seed, pumpkin seed as garnish.