• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

Lisdexic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2016
I'm planning on getting the 13" model with touch menu. I need the additional ram but I don't understand cpu speeds that well. I build machine learning and ai models on my computer so I generally cap out any resources I do have. The ram requirements usually spike as I load data in but subside a bit later so I definitely need the 16gb ram but I have no idea the difference in training time when using a 2.9ghz cpu vs 3.1 ghz vs 3.3 ghz. My models take anywhere from minutes up to hours (10+) on a 3 yr old Dell XPS for reference.

Is the speedup linear in proportion to the increase in CPU ghz? i.e., there's a 7% increase in CPU speed so computations run 7% faster? 7% sounds like it would be barely noticeable in most situations.

egraphixstudios

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2007
Only difference between them is the lighter wallet...

on serious note - if your doing video encoding it will be faster but by few minutes from 2.9 to 3.3- otherwise go for the 2.9 to save ££.

Comment

jerryk

Contributor
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
In most situations you won's see it unless you run simulations, or other long running compute bound processes. And if you do that, you have to wonder about thermal throttling. I do machine learning and often train models that use all 4 cores for an hour or so. I can watch the unit start to throttle after a 5 minutes or so.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.