Any real difference between the 15" rMBP 2.0GHz and 2.3GHz?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marc55, May 30, 2014.

1. marc55, May 30, 2014
    Last edited: May 30, 2014

marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

We do mostly web surfing, email, occasional documents and spreadsheets, listen to music, store family pictures, and maybe even watch a movie while camping, and would like to know if there would be any real noticeable difference between the 15" rMBP 2.0GHz, 2.3GHz, with integrated graphics?

We can get a Refurbished 15" rMBP, 2.0GHz, 16GB, 512GB SSD for $2,119 , whereas a new model would be $2,309 W/ Employee Discount.

A new 15"rMBP, 2.3GHz, 16GB, 512GB SSD with dedicated graphics is $2,399 W/ Employee Discount.

As you can see, there isn't that much difference between the Refirb @ $2,119, and a new higher end model @ $2,399.

Do movies play any better with the dedicated graphics card VS the Integrated Iris Pro?

I'm thinking since there is only $280 difference, the 2.3GHz with dedicated graphics card would be more future proof?

What do you guys think?

Thank you.

2. ShiggyMiyamoto macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto

Yeah the only real difference between the two models is the addition of the dedicated GPU (dGPU) and a slightly faster i7 CPU (by 300 MHz or 0.3 GHz). I want to get the same 2.3 GHz model mainly for future proofing purposes (so as to not feel outdated too soon even when newer models could come out), but also I video edit from time to time using Adobe Premiere Pro, which uses the nVidia GPU for rendering/exporting projects and whatnot faster than the Intel Iris Pro (iGPU), though at the same time the Iris Pro is no slouch either. Video playback should be smooth on the Iris Pro only model, so unless you're going to be doing crazy 4k production work, I'd say it should suffice. I guess it's up to you if you want to spend the additional $280 or not.... I can almost promise that when others chime in they'll say the same or something similar to what I just said.

Happy deciding!

3. leman macrumors G3

I don't see any point for you in getting the 2.3Ghz version. The difference is minimal even in benchmarks, in real world there will be none. And it also does absolutely nothing for future-proofing. The only reason to get a faster CPU is if you are doing something which would reduce your working time, e.g. heavy numerical computation.

4. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Check the AppleInsider price list before purchasing new units. You can almost always get a better deal at MacMall, B&H...etc than via Apple. And via most online retailers...no sales tax. Also B&H has the best price on AppleCare.

Another way to save, get a refurbed unit from Apple. The come with full warranty and are eligible for Apple Care. A maxed out 15" rMBP is $500 off or a new unit. But you will pay sales tax unless you wait for your state's tax free weekend in the late August or Sept.

http://prices.appleinsider.com

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro/15

5. ShiggyMiyamoto macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto

True, but for me every time I've gotten a Mac literally a month later a newer, more powerful machine has come out and I was pissed each time that I didn't wait for that one. I know, that's the cycle of tech, but still. Also I do want to be able to play the latest and greatest games that're out there, though I'm not a gamer. If a game gets a lot of hype I want to be able to try it out to see what all the hype is actually about, so the dGPU model benefits me in those many ways.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Get the base model. The Iris Pro graphics will run everything you list very well and give you good battery life.

7. marc55 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marc55

Does the dedicated graphics card chew up that much more battery than the Iris Pro graphics?

8. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Only if you're using software that uses the dGPU. However, you can disable the 750M by using gfxcardstatus. I easily get around 8 hours on my 2.6/16/1TB/750M 15" rMBP by disabling the 750M with gfxcardstatus.

Also, if you configure both the Iris-only and Iris+750M models to 2.3/16/512, both are priced identically, so the 750M is basically a freebie.

But since your usage is pretty basic, even a 13" rMBP would do you fine. Yes, you'd be future-proofing by going for a higher end model, but given your needs, a 2.4/8/256 13" rMBP would already suit your needs for 3-4 years.

9. UBS28, May 31, 2014
    Last edited: May 31, 2014

UBS28 macrumors 6502a

You can those stuff on an iPhone / iPad. So you will not notice any difference going for the 2.0 ghz model :)