Any real reason to go for a 2G Touch over the first?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ReanimationLP, May 3, 2009.

1. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

I'm looking at getting a 16GB-32GB iPod touch.

The prices for the refurbished 1st gen touches are a lot cheaper than the 2nd gen touches.

Other than the Bluetooth functionality and a bit more battery life, is there really any other difference?

I really could care less about the back being curved or flat.

I lost my 5G iPod 30GB somewhere. :(

2. messedkid macrumors 6502

messedkid

The 2nd gen ipod touch also has a built in speaker, and volume controls on the left side of the ipod.

IMO the built in speaker sucks for music playback, but for youtube and apps it is pretty useful.

3. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

The 2G just feels so much better in the hand. Plus faster processor, and the above mentioned advantages.

4. Spartan Sh4dow macrumors newbie

Spartan Sh4dow

I used to like the first gen better because it was able to be jailbroken, but now the second gen can be too. It feels alot better in your hand and the speaker is nice is quiet areas.

5. DHarrisDBS34 macrumors regular

If you don't already have one, I'd say get 2G if you can afford it. After 3.0 comes out this summer, you'll see why for real. You'll be happy to have the bluetooth chip.

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

IMHO, this is a compelling reason to go for the 2nd Gen touch at this point in time.

Exciting times be coming soon. :)

7. kshat28 macrumors member

yeah definitely go with the 2g. The 3.0 update will have peer to peer connectivity. Meaning you will be able to play games and other things with people around you through the bluetooth without needing to be in a wifi hot spot.

8. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

i have a 1G and my friend has a 2G and trust me, go with the 2G. you never realize how much better the built in speaker is until you use one with it. also it feels better in your hand. and to add to that, certain features are coming in 3.0 that are available for the 2G but not the 1G

9. DollarsAndGirls macrumors member

10. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

glad i bought a touch rite after they came out so im not stuck with the 2g when a new one comes out lol. I assume the accelerometer is quicker, the one on my 1g is so freaking slow it bugs me.

11. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I wish I had got the 2G for my wife- my kids and I wish there was a speaker to use when waiting in the Dr. office, etc.

I also wish the battery would last longer on the 1G- didn't think it would be an issue- but any little bit helps since the iPod touch is a battery hog when surfing, playing games, movies, etc.

Go 2G for sure. Resale woudl be worth more too if you end up upgrading.

12. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

from a mechanical standpoint there is less to go wrong with a 1g, no speaker or dial for vol. i really dont know y everyone complained so much about not having an external vol.

13. villageindian macrumors member

Yes, among all the other things mentioned in this thread, just for the casing design :)

Not to say that the 1st gen doesn't have one, its just that the 2G iPod Touch is superior in design with the curved back for a firmer grasp in the hand.

14. Redline13 macrumors 6502

The external volume controls on the second generation are reason enough to prefer it to the first. You really can't go wrong either way though.

15. hak187 macrumors member

16. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

true, its good either way.

17. jeonghyunhan macrumors newbie

Does it really have a faster processor?

18. Redline13 macrumors 6502

It does. Your not going to notice it in most instances. I own a second generation ipod touch and I still think it's a little slow when switching between applications.

19. iboy38 macrumors member

iboy38

20. messedkid macrumors 6502

messedkid

Welcome to the party. :rolleyes:

21. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

I'm Here for the Party

2nd Gen seems much faster to me. Check out this article.

Get the 2nd gen, because its thinner, it supports the iTunes Genius tool; Nike+iPod built-in; improved battery life.

Oh, did somebody say speaker and external volume controls? Yeah, it has those too.

22. yorkshire macrumors 6502a

yorkshire

It is worth it alone for the speaker. Youtube etc is no way near as good when you have to use your headphones. You'll want a speaker for games, too, if you play them.

23. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

1st gen Touch has the slowest processor of the iPhone/iPod Touch family and the 2nd Gen has the fastest processor.

I own a 1st and 2nd gen and there is a slight but noticeable difference is responsiveness.