Any real reason to upgrade to 2.0.2 on an original iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by guyverzero, Aug 29, 2008.

1. guyverzero macrumors member

Since the new jailbreak came out, I'm just wondering if theres anything worth it for 2g users to lose all the apps and stuff. I've heard that 2g reception has also suffered since the 2.0 update (I got mine just then, and reception seems to be worse than on my old cell phone)

So...if we aren't 3g users, is there any reason at all to jailbreak the new firmware, such as reduced lag, better reception, any....I don't know....bug...fixes?? Thanks for any answers in advance!

**EDIT** Wow, I was dumb. I have 2.0.1 thats all jailbroken and done up nice.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

3. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Are you asking if you should upgrade from 1.x to 2.0.2? Or are you asking if you should jailbreak your 2.0 firmware? Your queries are not clear in the slightest.

4. guyverzero thread starter macrumors member

edited. I think I cleared everything up now, sorry to make such a dumb mistake as not putting down my firmware version!

5. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

LOL, ok that's a little better, but the quoted sentence still makes no sense. You don't lose anything because of the new jailbreak. Yes, you would wipe the phone to upgrade to 2.0.2, and then jailbreak 2.0.2, but then you're free to put on all the jailbreak apps you want, as well as apps you download from the app store.

6. guyverzero thread starter macrumors member

But do you think the jump from 2.0.1 to 2.0.2 would be worth enough to go through the pwning process for the 2g user? Or should I just wait until 2.1 is released? Only reason is that all people are saying it does is fix the 3G connection issues...if thats all it does I don't think it would matter at all if I upgraded or not.

And that sentence I'm just saying that although I could reinstall the jailbroken apps, it'd take some time to find them, and it would just be too much hassle if all the new update fixes is 3G stuff

7. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

ah now I see. personally, I jailbroke the 1st gen and it was awesome. I jailbroke the 3G and it was so-so. there are more apps now than a month ago, but not like last year. I am currently holding out for 2.1. I don't want to become attached to a bunch of jailbreak apps and themes, then have to decide between keeping them and upgrading to 2.1. When 2.1 becomes jailbroken, I will revisit the idea.