Any real solution for the instant 2% drop when unplugged from overnight charging?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fanboi4life, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Fanboi4life macrumors regular

Fanboi4life

I've read it's happened before with previous models, and I know it's technically not a problem, but has anyone fixed the issue on their own?

When I got my phone on launch day, I let it drop to 0% and did a full recharge and everything was fine until yesterday, wtf, is this a software issue?

Thanks for any help.

2. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I'm sorry, but how can there be a solution for something that isn't a problem?

3. Fanboi4life thread starter macrumors regular

Fanboi4life

Cute.

When I say that it's not a "problem", I mean that the battery is actually fully recharged, but the percentage meter is not reading it correctly.

4. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Fanboi :cool:
    If this is what you have to worry about, try expanding your horizons a bit...or at least just waiting for the first software update. :eek:

5. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Eh, it's not?

The reading is accurate. For reasons (re: not ****ing exploding and setting everything on fire) it doesn't actually constantly charge the phone after 99%. Logically.

If it's at 99% just unplug it and plug it back in and let it sit for a minute or two if that extra 1% (which disappears in like 20-30 minutes anyway) really bothers you.

EDIT: If this is your biggest bother with the phone, you're gonna **** your pants when you find out it can browse the internet :eek:

6. cynics macrumors G4

Let the phone charge too 100% and when it goes from the lightning bolt to the plug icon indicating its completely charged take it off the charger and test it.

The battery will charge all the way then stop charging even though its plugged in. If you catch it at the right time the battery won't be at 100% or it will drop rapidly.

I'd just keep an eye on it, I doubt it's a problem.

7. darster Suspended

I use an app called boost magic that has eliminated that issue. It calibrates battery and when it reaches 100% it trickle charges. After I remove lightning cable and close app, it will maintain 100% for a few hours if phone not used.

8. aristobrat macrumors G5

It's how the software is designed. It doesn't charge the battery to 100% and then keep it there. It charges to 100%, then lets it drop a few %, then recharges back to 100%. Apples been doing that for years with iPhones now.

9. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

10. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

i sometimes unplug from 100% and within minutes goto 99-98%. simply turn it off and reboot. it will be back at 100% and be fine. this also happened with my iphone 4 as well, and its sporatic.

i find that sometimes it will do it, and sometimes not. there are sometimes where i can have it go all the way down to 96% within minutes and reboot back to 100%. i think it has to do with where in its trickle cycle it was when it was unplugged. if i dont reboot and get it as low as 94-95%, a reboot will only get me back to 97-98%. once it gets lower than that, i find the real battery level and the battery icon are finally on par. they basically need to settle to meet eachothers correct level around mid/low 90's. a quick reboot once unplugged kind of force corrects it immediately.

11. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Turn off battery percentage in the display, the "problem" will disappear.

12. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Apple QC must really be going to hell. A couple of years ago that problem would never exist. Of course all we had was the bar graph and no percentage but still charging was never a problem. :cool:

13. propalitet macrumors member

On macbook pro it's a normal thing at least. When it's charged at 100% it's starts slowly discharging, when it hits 95% it starts charging to 100% again. It will say it's at 100% but when you disconnect it it will show where it is actually.
    Could be the same on iphone.

14. YungMoola94 macrumors regular

I know what you're talking about. You need to calibrate the battery.

15. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

The battery percentage display needs calibration.

Let the device go completely flat. Recharge all the way. Finished.

16. sc4rf4c3 macrumors regular

Why are you bothered by this? My 4 & 4S did this and now my S3 is doing it. Turn off your battery percentage or leave your phone charge all the time so you'll always get 100%.

17. pnoyblazed macrumors 6502a

there is a problem?

18. Fanboi4life thread starter macrumors regular

Fanboi4life

I'm new to this "problem", and my first iPhone was the Verizon iPhone 4, and this never happened to that phone. So that's the only reason why I'm making a fuss out of it.

19. solo118 macrumors 65816

It has happened to me on my 4S, but only if I left it on the charger for more than 24hrs.

I would take it off at 98%, but if I re-plug it then it would go up to 100%.

I also noticed a weird issue on the ip5, when I had 98% and I turn the phone off and then back on it will pop back up to 100%

20. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

A real solution would be to cure your anal-retentiveness.

21. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I could be wrong, but doesn't the OS already do this automatically? Why waste time, energy, and hard drive space just to do the exact same thing?

22. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Manual ability to do it I'm guessing. I'll admit I looked for the app (couldn't find it!).

23. darster Suspended

Wrong, because within 10 minutes of removing charger, the phone would drop to 99%. Using app it would take 2 hours to go from 100% to 99%. Everytime.

----------

The app is called Battery Boost Magic. There is a free version and a paid one.

24. qckslvrsiete macrumors regular

Reset Settings worked for me. It was a little bit of a bother re-setting all of my settings after the fact (only took about 10 minutes though), but the battery percentage meter behaves normally now.

25. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

I've had this happen to me since the 4 came out. I don't think the 3GS did it.

It would charge over night, still plugged in 100%. Unplug it, 99%. Restart phone, back to 100% and functioning normally.

Its like the battery and software can never get perfectly synced with eachother.

It gets better the older the phone gets, and eventually seems to stop doing it.

Its got no affect on battery life though, i've always got excellent battery life.