Any reason a 27" 4.0GHz i7, 8GB, 512GB SSD would be backordered for a month?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by feeth, Nov 14, 2015.

1. feeth, Nov 14, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2015

feeth macrumors 6502

Update:

Eat my words!!!

My new Imac arrived today

Here are the specs:

Apple iMac 27" with Retina 5K Display, 4.0GHz i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD, AMD Radeon R9 M390 2GB, OS X El Capitan (Late 2015)

Ordered from Adorama on the 6th. Was happy to get free AppleCare and no sales tax and some other discount. Total of $387 saved vs ordering direct from Apple.com.

Adorama claims that they dont charge your CC till the item ships. They emailed me on the 8th to say it was backordered as it was being drop shipped from the manufacturer. On the 9th, they charge my CC the full amount. I emailed them yesterday (13th) to ask the status and they reply:

According to the manufacturer, this is currently backordered and they estimate that this will be shipped out by the 1st week of December 2015.

I asked them to remove the charge from my CC till it ships.

Does anyone else with the same config see a backorder for a month if you ordered direct from Apple.com?

2. feeth thread starter macrumors 6502

I looked online at apple.com and they claim this for my config:

Order today, delivers: Nov 18 - Nov 20- Fastest | Nov 21 - Nov 25- Free

So if I would of ordered direct from apple.com a week ago it would have arrived from the 14th-18th.

Maybe Adorama uses the super slow boat from China? :)

3. G.McGilli macrumors regular

That config ships from California - not China. Many of us have that exact same model.

Assembled in USA, an shipped from Rialto California - no reason it should take that long for it to get to New York..

4. feeth thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for that info.

5. twilexia macrumors 6502

6. PSPPhoto macrumors newbie

My order through Adorama is getting cancelled soon, i7, 512, 395x. I actually ordered on the 29th and they charged my card on the 29th with a shipping confirmation that the item will be drop shipped. After many frustrating emails to Adorama two weeks ago about their poor communication in this matter I was told that Nov 20th was the current eta, yesterday after emailing them for an update it is now pushed back to the 2nd week of December (and this rep said they would be getting them in their warehouse, but it is supposed to be drop shipped?). I have used Adorama in the past with good results but this experience of awful communication and contradictions has left a bad taste in my mouth. I have not received a single update from Adorama without me reaching out to them, yet MacMall who I had pre ordered an iPad Pro and accessories through has kept me up to date with every change in delivery by email.

I am going to wait till Monday to email their 'Customer Service Ambassador' to see what can be done. But lesson learned, sometimes it just makes sense to pay a little more and order directly through apple, especially since the time I could have saved on editing my last shoot with a new machine would have paid the difference and some.

7. feeth thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the info. If they won't remove the charge from my CC till it ships by the end of this week, I'll cancel. I don't mind waiting 4 weeks, but I'm not going to tolerate my CC being charged while they claim to have a "no charge till we ship policy"

8. tbeaumont macrumors newbie

Not true...my CTO was shipped from China. Arrived last week.

9. G.McGilli macrumors regular

One thing you have to remember is that Apple sets the prices of their products.

It's not like Sony for example - who sell a *device* and they say the MSRP is $2000, but they sell it to distributors for $1500. So then Best Buy sells it for 1700, and Walmart sells it for 1650 etc - because they purchase it for much less than MSRP.

There is very, very little money to be made from a company selling Apple Hardware. That's why up here in Canada - Best Buy and Future Shop would always try to sell you THEIR warranty service over Applecare. One of the only ways they can make money on Apple products (except for 3rd party devices).

So - what I'm saying is if a company right now - is saying they can sell you a brand new, just released Apple product for hundreds of dollars less than everyone else - they would be selling it at a loss. So, it sounds like to me that they had some arrangement made - or - hell they are waiting until Black Friday to purchase them at that price - and then will 'drop ship' them to you.

Really - it sounds like they are taking pre-orders for Black Friday and charging credit cards to shore up the funds...

10. G.McGilli macrumors regular

Oops sorry - I spent all my time in the Canadian BTO forum - and every single one was sent from California.

11. Kimmie92592 macrumors newbie

Kimmie92592

Adorama is a very reputable company. I've ordered from them several times no problems. You can get free apple care and no tax if ordered through Apple Insider.

12. feeth thread starter macrumors 6502

That's what I did. Latest reply says that's the way it is. I told them to cancel my order.

13. feeth thread starter macrumors 6502

14. suhail macrumors newbie

I ordered with a similar configuration (Apple iMac 27" with Retina 5K Display, 4.0GHz i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD, AMD Radeon R9 M390X 4GB, OS X El Capitan - Late 2015) on Saturday, Nov 14th and my CC got charged on Monday 16th. They claimed to have drop shipped on Monday as well. I think all it means is they are placed an order with Apple on Monday (thus the PO#). I wonder how long its going to take for Apple to ship it. I also ordered for OWC 16GB RAM for $134, which I believe will be arriving tomorrow.

15. Copperjohn macrumors newbie

I also ordered an iMac via Adorama using the AppInsider offer. Ordered on Friday 11/13 and was charged on Monday 11/16 when the drop ship order was placed. Did you ever receive a tracking number from Adorama? What service delivered it?

16. suhail macrumors newbie

I haven't yet received a tracking number, meaning its not yet shipped by Apple. My guess is its going to be either FedEx or UPS.

17. G.McGilli macrumors regular

Curious - is it assembled in USA - or China?

18. suhail macrumors newbie

Not sure if its California or China... I live in California so if it does ship from California I should get it pretty fast. Also, I am not sure how diligent Adorama is updating the tracking information on our customer account once Apple provides them. For all I know, Apple may have already shipped it and we don't even know its on its way...

19. LVEB macrumors newbie

from apple store (china > ship to > singapore) order 12th nov (with financial plan) received 18th nov.

Here's my spec
    Apple iMac 27" with Retina 5K Display, 4.0GHz i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD, AMD Radeon R9 M395x 4GB, OS X El Capitan (Late 2015)

20. PSPPhoto macrumors newbie

So mine actually arrived today. I would have never known it had even shipped except Helen at Adorama let me know after trying to get to a resolution with the order. She actually provided me with the FedEx tracking number, my order details page on the Adorama site still just shows drop shipped and I never received an update email.

21. Copperjohn macrumors newbie

Thanks for the update PSPPhoto! The good news seems to be these Adorama drop ship orders appear to be arriving in 2-3 weeks after the order is placed, but the bad news is that the updates and tracking information are not being forwarded to the customer. Helen the Adorama ombudsman in a different forum stated in regards to these Apple iMac drop shipments:

11/16/15
    " I'm told that - for reasons that are beyond me - on all these shipments we (Adorama) do not get the tracking numbers automatically, as with other drop shipments. We have to manually check daily with the distributor to provide us the tracking numbers for those that have shipped."

22. PSPPhoto macrumors newbie

That was actually in response to my post on that forum. I feel like the way the situation on the whole was handled extremely poorly by Adorama, but Helen was able to keep everything from falling apart. I hope she gets bonused out well this season since if it were not for her help I would have written off using Adorama completely in the future. The day mine actually shipped, one of their standard CS reps had said it would not ship till the 2nd week of December. I think they need some more Helens around there... Hopefully anyone else waiting patiently(unlike I was) will start seeing their shipments soon.

23. Copperjohn macrumors newbie

Thanks - Agree Helen appears to be valuable asset for that company.

BTW based on your posts, I went to B&H and looked how they described charges for these drop orders on their website. They appear to do the same thing as far as Adorama in that they also charge your credit card upon placing the drop order and not when shipped by the MFR. But they do a better job stating that fact clearly. If you click the "i" icon on their iMac special item preorder items it states:

"This is a new item. We are accepting pre-orders and will be drop shipped from the MFR once it becomes available. Your order will be charged at the time of placing the order with the MFR. "

24. feeth thread starter macrumors 6502

They sent me a tracking # but it was for a package headed to FL. FedEx delivered mine

25. Copperjohn macrumors newbie

Some guy who ordered an iMac in Bora Bora is scratching his head as he looks at "his" tracking number and sees it was delivered to your home *s*.