Any reason behind the MagSafe change?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by kylera, Jun 18, 2012.

1. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

First off, this is coming from a guy who is getting his first portable Mac with MagSafe, so it is also my first time dealing with MagSafe.

As such, is there a reason behind the new MagSafe? Someone mentioned planned obsolescence, but I think that's only part of it. Obviously it doesn't affect me much compared to someone who got a MacBook before, but I'm just curious.

2. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

The new design is thinner. Allowing for thinner MacBooks.

3. jgc macrumors regular

They had to make the MagSafe 2 (thinner version) in order to fit it on the retina MBP. I guess they figured that since they're introducing it there, they'll introduce it onto the MBAs as well. It likely indicates that they'll look at slimming the MBA even further in the future. Or at the very least if they're going to start implementing it on one device, and all thicker devices can do either or, it makes sense to transition to one MagSafe design for all laptops.

Lots of people also had complaints about the old MagSafe coming in parallel with the device, pulling the laptop as opposed to being pulled away from it and disconnecting like it's supposed to. The perpendicular approach is more likely to disconnect when someone trips on the cord.

4. kylera thread starter macrumors 65816

kylera

So basically you're saying that it was designed primarily with the RetinaBook in mind?

Huh...

5. KPOM macrumors G5

The rumor is that the new iPhone will also get a new connector. Apple has had a good run with the iPod dock and original MagSafe. Perhaps they just decided now is a good time to make a change so that they are ready for the next decade of computing. Maybe they have thinner designs in mind (think the new Microsoft Surface).

6. Nebrie macrumors 6502a

1. Supply chain. Cheaper and easier just to make one part than two.

2. Lets Apple transition the cinema display on the next update than have to continue to supply adapters with them.

3. Swappability with the retina MBP.

7. dontcallmyname macrumors member

Sorry if this is a silly question, but I haven't been paying much attention to any of this until now when I need to replace my computer. If I were to get one of the new airs (or retina mbp for that matter), will my old mag-safe chargers not fit? I have a few that I have acquired from my family members over time and it's so useful having a few. Will they become useless for me?

8. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

You can buy a MagSafe to MagSafe 2 adapter on the apple store.

9. bloke macrumors newbie

There is a small adapter you can buy to allow you to use the old one too.

Bloke

10. dontcallmyname macrumors member

thanks. i'm kinda slow... didn't even think to google that or even think it through.

11. mattpreston11 macrumors 6502a

Magsafe 1 cable is compatible with Magsafe 2 mac with an adapter.
    Magsafe 2 cable is compatible with magsafe 1 mac with no adapter?

12. Karr271 macrumors regular

Since the macbook air was redesigned in 2010, I believe it's design will stick around for a few more years. They didn't bother to add magsafe 2 to the classic MBP because it will soon be phased out. Pretty soon, it'll be only retina macbook pros and macbook airs which will have the magsafe 2.

13. Kyllle macrumors 6502

Neither is compatible with the other without the adapter. Magsafe 1 is thicker and shorter, Magsafe 2 is thinner and wider.

14. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

And there is no MagSafe 2 to 1 converter so you can't use the new power brick with a machine that has the original connector.

15. palpatine macrumors 68040

Apple is always screwing around with connectors. I have a drawer full of adapters. I think it is mainly because they change things to fit whatever it is they want to do without regard for compatibility. That's fine, but this time I couldn't figure out the rationale. I disagree with your first paragraph, but the second one makes sense. I don't like the new connector at all, but it does seem more likely to function better that way.

16. KittyKatta, Jun 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2012

KittyKatta macrumors 6502a

KittyKatta

4) They can charge $10 for a 30cent magnet that you're bound to lose and have to rebuy.

I just bought my first MagSafe adapter So here's my mini review on it:

Pros:
    + It offers a way to still use my old adapters. Apple could've easily said "deal with it"
    + Proper design. The magnet on the adapter side is stronger than the laptop side so you get a consistent break point
    + I've read Cinema display owners can call in for a courtesy replacement

Cons:
    - Things can't become standard if it gets replaced. For the air it feels unecessary
    - Makes right-angle connector no longer flush with computer
    - It already fell off so I had to dump my bag to look for it (You WILL lose this)
    - $10 is excessive for what it is.
    - Kids love magnets

I'm not going to complain too much on the new MagSafe because $10 to extend the life of my old MagSafe is nothing. But the decision is a bit strange so hopefully they had a good reason (iOS MagSafe would be great and the thinner design is promising).

17. KPOM macrumors G5

Apple doesn't change adapters as often as other manufacturers. MagSafe has been around for a while, and the iPod dock for over 8 years now. By contrast, phones used to get different docks every model (until the industry, prodded by European regulators, settled on Micro USB). Notebook chargers often aren't even compatible with other models from the same manufacturer.

18. KittyKatta macrumors 6502a

KittyKatta

Does anyone else find Apples naming conventions to be pretty odd lately?

iPad -> iPad 2 -> iPad
    AppleTV -> AppleTV 2 -> AppleTV

Remember the arguments over Apple changing the name of the iPad 3 where people would angrily bash others for not being smart enough to understand Apples philosophies on elegant naming structures? But now look at what we got:

MagSafe -> MagSafe 2
    MacBook Pro -> MacBook Pro with Retina Display

I get "why" they do it but it definitely does seem odd considering all the reasoning that users gave to past name changes for dropping numerical descriptors, or all the eye rolling people do when Microsoft introduces an overly descriptive name like "Microsoft Windows Phone 7" or "Microsoft Surface for Windows RT".

Maybe there is some truth to the lack of a single vision in the Post-Jobs Apple. :D

19. palpatine macrumors 68040

My drawer full of VGA adapters, firewire connectors, and other assorted crap says differently. I don't know how long MagSafe has been around, but just in my little cubicle I can see three different connectors attached to three different ages of Macs.

It's no big deal. Whatever. I knew what I was getting into when I bought into the Apple ecosystem. It's just that I didn't understand the logic this time, and I am glad to finally see a cogent explanation. Did they mention it in the keynote? Probably not.

20. calvol macrumors 6502a

It's really stupid of Apple to change adaptors. Dell has had the same adaptor for 10-15 years.

21. KPOM macrumors G5

The same lousy adapter, that is. I'm a bit surprised no one else has come up with a similar design. I understand MagSafe is patented, but it seems to me that there ought to be other ways of designing a magnetic power adapter that doesn't use Apple's patents. It's just a better way of connecting. I can't tell you how many times (cramped conference rooms, etc.) when I've seen notebooks go flying because someone tripped over a cord.

22. mattpreston11 macrumors 6502a

Yeah Apple should have stuck with a 15 year old adapter.

Having a power cord which magnetically snaps into place, prevents me from snagging the cable and destroying my laptop really sucks.

23. Fugue macrumors 6502

I heard some people complaining about the new Magsafe 2 adapter because it unplugs too easily. As in you're sitting on the couch and move a bit and it falls out. Anyone have any thoughts on the new design?

24. KohPhiPhi macrumors 6502a

Is there any reason as of why they went for a T-shape instead of the old L-shape? I very much prefer the L-shape.

25. KPOM macrumors G5

It does seem to unplug a little bit more easily than the L-shaped design of the 2011 MacBook Air.