Any reason I should get NeoOffice? Any problems with it?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by theman, Sep 16, 2007.

1. theman macrumors 6502a

I have always HATED M$ Office. It has been the cause of headaches, migranes, tantrums, and bad tempers for the last 20 years of Windows use. Now I got a mac, and I really don't want to pay for Office for Mac, and so I'm wondering: has anybody encountered problems with NeoOffice? Please don't hold back, give me all the dirt on it. I just need to know. I think it will end up being my best option even if there are some issues.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Its biggest problem, IMHO, is its speed or lack thereof. If you can handle the sluggish UI, its a pretty good substitute for Office.

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Its great, and there's no trouble in trying it out, due to the price...I primarily use iWork (I recommend the trial), but NeoOffice does what I want when I need it...the UI is much faster than it used to be BTW, which is plenty fast enough for me...

4. tennismanclay macrumors regular

tennismanclay

Its a bit sluggish opening it but does almost everything i need. i give it a 8 out of 10.

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It's useful but sometimes sluggish. Lots of memory helps.

It should be interesting to see how things change when OpenOffice is available as a native Aqua application since NeoOffice looks pretty close to native already.

6. weckart macrumors 68040

I found that Numbers made a slightly better fist of opening Excel spreadsheets and retaining the formatting. In NeoOffice, there was some offsetting noticeable (text running into lines etc), although nothing too horrendous. This was more apparent in Word documents.

Having said that, both were very good. NeoOffice is free, and is constantly updated, so no reason not to try it out, unless you are on dialup.

I was pleasantly surprised by the speed expecting it to be super sluggish, but then I am working with straightforward documents at the moment.