any reason I shouldn't get the ipad 3?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PaulWog, Apr 12, 2012.

1. PaulWog Suspended

The main question is specifically about the 3rd generation of the iPad: I can't find any comprehensive reviews on the thing anywhere. I've been googling and youtubing for a while now and I'm just not having much luck. Usually when I want to educate myself on a product, I can find some relatively in-depth reviews which cover enough to give me a great idea about what I need to know.

I've heard of three cons so far: screen consistency problems, heat problems at the bottom-left, and the battery takes 6-ish hours to fully charge.

As for the first two mentioned problems: is there validity to these claims?

Finally: Is there anything else that should be mentioned about the iPad 3?

I'm pretty much sold on buying the thing. Right now I'm looking at any points that may dissuade me.

2. xRYD3Rx macrumors 6502

It's been 3weeks I've had my iPad and I am really satisfied. A lot of people say that it has heating problems but mine doesn't. And yes the battery actually takes 6-7hours to fully charge.

Apple gives you 14 days to return the iPad. Go buy it use it for a week and see how it is. If your satisfied keep it if not return it. My advise to you is don't listen/look at this forums to much they make you worried and you over think and look for problems.

3. macinhand macrumors regular

macinhand

Although i love the new iPad and it's amazing screen i have been plauged with defective units with cosmetic issues so i have to say quality control is my main issue, So if it is at all possible for you i would suggest physically going into a store and checking the iPad out before you leave then you know you are not getting an iPad with dents, scratches, dead pixels and screen issues etc. And before the fanboys start flaming me these are issues that i have had and have got pictures to prove each defect.

As for the heat issue yes it does get warm but not hot, And this is to be expected for all the improvements under the hood and i have only found it to get warm when i am playing power hugging games like Real Racing 2 HD and Air Supremacy and so on, And the same goes for the battery, it is a bigger battery to compensate for the upgraded components so subsequently it will take longer to charge and for me this is not an issue.

As for everything else i love it and it is at my side most of the day and it is my main source for internet access and it has made my iMac almost redundant.

4. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Really? Did you try the Anand Tech review? If that's not in-depth enough for you, you're SOL.

Just buy it. You have a two week window to return if you buy from the Apple store. Yes, your stated issues are all real. But not everyone experiences them and not everyone thinks its an issue. My iPad hardly ever gets warm. And when it does, it doesn't bother me. I can't even tell if the battery takes longer to charge or not because I plug it in at night. Complete non-issue.

5. kemo macrumors 6502a

kemo

Go and get one, you can always return it within 14 days, I believe you wont. The display is gorgeous, it really is, I get used to the sharp text so fast so I gave iPad2 to my grand-parents and they are even more amazed than I'm from the new one. They never used any iOS before nor any smartphone and found it very easy to use and simply love it.

But, back to the new iPad, I have to say I hadnt any heating issues, nor any baterry life issues. I have to say It stays for about 10 hours, and Im using it like 2 evenings (~ 5 hours a day) watching iTunesU podcasts, browsing MacRumors and listening radio etc. The battery life is really long for such a display. Even on 3G network it lasted whole working day (about 500MB data transfered for that day by browsing, downloading new Maxim, listening radio etc.)

Just keep your brightness up to 70%-80% to achieve these times..

And yes, the battery takes a bit longer to recharge but who cares, Im only recharging at night in iPad dock same for my iPhone.

Im pleased to have it!

6. MacAttacka macrumors 6502

As mentioned before Anandtech is the only review worth reading if you want the technicalbreakdown.

Regarding anything else, why dont you just buy one and try it out. You have two weeks in which time you can just return it if you're not happy. Only you know if its right for you.

7. JohnnyComeLatly macrumors member

I've watched numerous movies and yesterday was on a 70+ minute Skype call (wifi), and I've never felt it "warm." Initially I had just a cheap sleeve for it, and now a Ottorbox Defender case. I really think the heat complaints are overblown. I've had cell phones get "hot" on long calls with the phone tightly held.

To answer your question, there's really no reason other than cost to avoid the 3. If you can afford the best, get it. If not, get the 2. You'll very likely be happy with it either way. I carry mine all the time, use it for hours, and then charge overnight. If you plug into a wall outlet to charge overnight, I really don't think the 'battery charge time' is an issue. If it can't charge fully, you're not getting enough sleep. Go to bed earlier and case solved, and you'll be healthier/happier. :cool:

8. tanboom macrumors member

Summary from multiple reviews and forums as well as personal experiences:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1347314

9. ZipZap macrumors 601

Flash...this just in....another useless thread posted on MR.

I thought long and hard about this and for you, the only reason to get a IP3 is so that you can then ship it to me.

PM me and I will send you my address.

10. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

It does get warm, but mine never gets hot. It does take 6 hours to do a total charge.

A very small percentage of people have gotten screens with backlight, tinting and color splotches. Check yours when you get it - chances are it will be fine.

It's a great device and if for any reason you aren't happy, you can always return it.

11. batotman macrumors 6502

I got mine on launch day and ordered a couple refurb iPad 2's. I upgraded from the 1. Definite a significant increase in speed and much more stable going from 1 to 2. 3 seems the same as 2 with the exception of the better screen. If you want the screen, get the 3. If you don't care too much about the screen, the 2 is more than adequate and still superior to all competitors.

12. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

If you're buying it just for the screen (over the iPad 2), see if you can compare it first. I've seen the Two and Three side by side in a shop, and while there is a difference, it was hardly mind-blowing. Obviously this is subjective and my own opinion, which is why I suggest comparisons.

I already had an iPad 2 anyway, and it's an excellent device - especially with the freedom of 3G. If you just want a decent iPad that runs nicely, the saving MAY be worth it for iPad2. Only you'll tell.

13. TC25 macrumors 68020

Exactly where have you 'heard of three cons'? On MR? If so, people who complain here are hardly typical. What do you mean by validity? Have people reported them? Yes. Are they widespread? No.

No.