Any reason NOT to buy a 40 GB refurb?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by henders98, Nov 13, 2009.

1. henders98 macrumors member

My only reason for wanting an Apple TV is to stream my rather large (1 TB+) iTunes collection from my iMac to my HDTV. I can get a 40 GB refurbished unit from Apple for $149. Does the newer model offer any advantage besides the increased storage capacity (which I don't need since I'll be streaming)?

Thanks for any help.

2. cdavis11 macrumors 6502

Not that I know of.

I run a 40GB streamed over an N only network - it's very nearly flawless.

Just make sure you're running a robust and fast wired and/or wireless network.

3. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

If you're going to stream everything, there's no need to get the larger capacity AppleTV. Personally, I like to have my music and photos synced (so my computer doesn't have to be on all the time), which I couldn't do with a 40 GB unit. If you don't mind having your computer on all the time, go for the smaller capacity device and save some money.

4. richardhunt macrumors regular

You can always put a bigger drive if you want later on anyway.

5. FamiliaPhoto macrumors 6502a

FamiliaPhoto

No reason, I bought a 40 gig refurb hacked it and attached a 500 gig HD to which I use as the primary drive and sync all my media. Works like a charm.

6. NightStorm macrumors 68000

I just bought a refurb 40... came looking like new and is perfect for what I do (stream everything).

7. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

I plan on getting one soon. Just wish they would give it a little upgrade. 1080p, little faster processor.