any reason not to buy iWork & Applecare from Amazon.com?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by basement zombie, May 18, 2009.

1. basement zombie macrumors member

I noticed the Amazon.com prices are cheaper than Apple prices - specifically, 21% less for iWork, and 15% less for Applecare. Obviously, the cheaper prices are preferred. Is there something I'm missing? Is there any reason why I should pay more to purchase the same software and warranty from Apple? :confused:

Thanks in advance. :)

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Not that I know of...although I did see iWork '09 for 39 at my brother college store...I highly regret not buying it then!

Still 62 isn't awful...best check shipping+tax to be sure

3. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Not at all. Amazon is a great reseller and there is absolutely no reason not to purchase from them.

Same product. Cheaper price. :D

4. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

5. basement zombie thread starter macrumors member

$39?! :eek: Alas...the one that got away... :D

Excellent - thanks for chiming in. I was scratching my head wondering if there was some sort of detail or loophole that I was missing that would explain how/why Applecare or iWork were cheaper on Amazon.com... :cool:

I just checked ebay.
    Hmm.

Surprisingly enough, iWork isn't listed/available as a Buy It Now much cheaper than Amazon.com (~$5), and the versions beyond that do not include shipping. The Amazon.com price includes shipping, and no sales tax in my state.

In terms of Applecare, this thread did a good job informing me of the great risk of purchasing it on ebay.

6. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

My sister and I buy so much stuff from amazon, sometimes it's pretty ridiculous. The UPS man shows up so often that I'm sure when he sees an amazon box, he thinks of us. We have amazon prime so all of our purchases are shipped free via 2-day shipping.

Amazon prices are almost always better than other retailers. They have great customer service and no tax in my state. This, + free shipping. What more could you want?

7. macgrl macrumors 65816

Nope, they are reliable and their service is usually very good.:)

8. Razmo macrumors newbie

Some people have recommended http://www.lacomputercompany.com/ for apple care and depending on what state you live in you may avoid sales tax as well. I have not done business with them but have seen them posted in the past.

9. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

Amazon is the way to go. I use Amazon for almost all my online shopping.

10. basement zombie thread starter macrumors member

I really like Amazon, and have had great experiences buying from them in the past. :)

That said...

Amazon.com's price for iMac Applecare is $143.18 shipped vs. L.A. Computer's price of $129.47 shipped.
    If you're in the L.A. area, you can walk in to the brick and mortar location and buy for $120 - great deal.

11. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I bought AppleCare for my iMac from L.A. Computer. Their service is every bit as fast and reliable as Amazon, just cheaper. I can't recommend them highly enough.

12. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

I purchased AppleCare for my iMac from www.ProVantage.com for $124. It arrived in a couple of days. :)

13. JuanGuapo macrumors 6502a

JuanGuapo

Can't say that I bought Applecare, but I bought my MobileMe subscription from Amazon for $63 on sale a few months ago. Sealed box, worked fine :D