Any reason not to buy refurbished?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bootsie, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Bootsie macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

I am so sick of waiting for the new MBP, so I am considering my other options.

I am thinking about buying a refurbished 2.5 Penryn MBP for $1,999, along with a refurb iPod classic for $179.

Is there any problems that I should take into consideration before doing this?

Any reason why I shouldn't buy a refurb?

Am I more likely to have problems with a return that I wouldn't have with new?

I am a suddnt, so I can get the free iPod and $200 off, but I would try to sell the touch because I have an iPhone. Which is a better deal?

2.4 MBP, and free iPod touch for $1,799, I would try to sell the touch and get a classic.

Or

2.5 MBP, and refurb classic for $2,178.

I have not decided for sure on wether I am going to wait or not, I would still like to, but I am driving myself crazy with the waiting, so I am just considering my other options.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Refurbs are excellent. They've been thoroughly tested and have had more personal attention than a new model. They're fully covered by the Apple Warranty, and eligible for AppleCare.

3. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

If it financially makes sense to you (based on your student discount and offers), then nope, there is nothing wrong with them. Same warranty, get thoroughly tested, etc.

4. msprouls macrumors member

msprouls

I may be wrong but I don't think you can get the student discount with a refurb item.

With a refurb you get everything but the fancy box and save some money in the process.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You still get the box and all the original accessories and documentation.

6. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Yeah, the refurbs do not get student pricing; even so they are usually $100 or so less than the student discount.

Cheers,

7. Bootsie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

Nope you can't, that is why I am trying to decide if it is a better deal or not.

Thanks for the help everyone, I wish someone would just tell me what to do ha ha and be able to fully convince me that it is the right decision.

8. chameleon81 macrumors 6502

You are right no promotion on ref units.

Ref units are as all of us know used ones. If you are OK with second hand units and want to save money then go for it.

I would buy ref unit if I wasn' t a student.

9. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Get the student discount, get the printer, get any promotions you get. Then sell your ipod.

There, go do it. :D

10. Star-fire macrumors 6502

Yes buy it, don't be one of those that waits and waits and waits. I just bought a 2.5 15" MBP last week and it is BY FAR the best Apple laptop I've owned and I've had a few (Ibook G3, Titanium, Alum PB G4, Macbook white, then black and now the MBP) It's awesome build is perfect, everything feels tight and well made, runs extremely cool (I almost can't believe how cool!) Plays Games like no tomorrow (Portal in Vista on boot camp!) apps launch quick, faster then my iMac Core duo (Not core 2). Screen is so bright it's about 4 steps brighter then my Macbook was and color is awesome (I got glossy).

Don't hold back for rumors, because that's all they are as we saw from today, get the iPod and sell it if you want!

11. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Refurbs are an excellent buy, so, to answer your question, there is no reason not to buy, unless you are the sort of person who simply must have the latest in technology/or products. As has already been pointed out by ggjstudios, they have been tested thoroughly, and come with a warranty, the possibility to add Applecare, and an already generous discount (more generous than the student discount most of the time). No, you don't get the student discount on a refurb - in effect, that would be to discount it twice, which won't happen.

I'm with Star-fire on this one; buy now, and you'll get a great machine, which you can always sell for a good price should you wish, or need, to upgrade. Good luck anyway.

(To Star-fire, welcome to the forum and congrats on your purchase, and good luck with it, and enjoy it).

Cheers and good luck

12. msprouls macrumors member

msprouls

I should have been more clear. I comes in a brown box instead of the color print box.

13. Mazinger-Z macrumors newbie

Basic warning with the refurbished models... If Apple slacks, you'll be paying for it.

I bought a refurbed model a week ago and received it. The R key was unresponsive unless an inordinate amount of pressure was applied to it. Obviously no good on typing speed. So I sent it into the Apple Store.

They called me and said that it had cola residue under the key, throwing it up to Tier 4 and 800 bucks to repair. I called BS. While I know some people go 'huh, soda, howd that get there' I had the stupid thing for less than a day. And like any one else, I was treating it like a new car, a new couch or a Fabergé egg. And as a general rule, I don't leave open containers of drinks near any of my electronics, with the exception of like... game controllers. I didn't spill any soda on the laptop.

Anyway... After 2 hours of stressful scripted Apple Care reps, I got a supervisor. Laptop is labeled DOA and I'll send it in for a replacement.

Overall point... I'm more suspicious of refurbished now... The fact that such a thing snuck past their QA group and I would have been stuck with a bill really PO'd me.

14. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

I've only bought one refurb so far, a 8 core mac pro. Like you, I was hesitant before and read the forums wondering what people's experiences with refurbs are.

Some say it's awesome, significant savings etc. And some like Mazinger were unlucky to have a bad experience. But now at least Apple is replacing his defective laptop.

Can't say Apple's QA is bad..it's not hard to miss cola under a key because well, it's under a key. I don't expect Apple to test every key, or take each one off and look underneath. Of course, QA like that will be awesome.

Moral of the story is..if there is an issue, Apple will take care of it.

My personal advice: go for the refurb, and use the savings to buy Apple care or more RAM. For me, that is the main reason i chose to go refurb.

the way i see it, no point paying 200 bucks to get a mac in its new box, I would prefer to use that money on ram or apple care.

15. Mazinger-Z macrumors newbie

Moral of the story is more like don't let tier 1 support stop you.

Tier 1 is there to handle issues that're common and they give scripted responses. Even their "Genius Bar" is just Best Buy Geek Squad, only cleaner.

I had to rip into the second Apple Care rep I got. I mean really rip into him. He didn't even try to BS me. He said "let me get my supervisor" and I was handled very well after that.

This is my first Mac, so I'm a little peeved that this would be my first experience with them. I don't mind buying a laptop that originally had soda spilled in it. I do mind that I was about to pay 800 bucks to repair it because their QA didn't fix it when they refurbished it.

Fight for what you're due. If they have to give me a brand new Macbook from the factory, I don't care. I paid for a product that was guaranteed functional.

16. dtklamf macrumors regular

brown box? mine came with the full colour box. hit and miss?rare? who cares i think the refurb store is the best thing sinced sliced bread and have made a few purchases through it.17%-34% discount is a good incentive.

17. Logos327 macrumors 6502

Maybe this can help you.

http://podcast-files.cnet.com/podcast/realdeal032007.mp3

It is the Real Deal podcast from CNET where Tom Merritt talks about refurbished electronics.