Any reason not to buy this SSD?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by brendu, Feb 24, 2011.

1. brendu, Feb 24, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2011

brendu macrumors 68020

So I am pretty sure I am going to buy the OCZ Vertex 2 80GB from microcenter this evening. Does anyone have experience with this drive / know of any reasons why I should NOT buy it. I am also considering the Vertex 2 120 GB version but money is not endless and I plan on replacing the Superdrive with the optibay using my 500GB scorpio blue soon so storage wont really matter. Any thoughts on why this would not be a good idea would be appreciated. Thanks.

EDIT: I bought the OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 120GB SSD

2. yukyuklee macrumors 6502

yukyuklee

I have this on my desktop as a boot drive. Check newegg and you can have MC do a price match with you at the store. It's a pretty good product, I scored 7.8 on win7. Also you will tell a difference in boot\load

3. brendu, Feb 24, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2011

brendu thread starter macrumors 68020

thanks for the comment. After reading this thread I am concerned about this being a potential waste of money and maybe saving a little more for another month or 2 and getting the vertex 3 when it comes out. I will see what others say.

EDIT: As always with more investegating, the drives at microcenter do not appear to be the 25nm models but rather the better performing 32nm (if the model number listed is in fact the model they are carrying) I think I will go for this one.

4. yukyuklee macrumors 6502

yukyuklee

I was actually contemplating whether or not to go this route like you are. How often do we ever use the superdrive anyways? lol

5. brendu thread starter macrumors 68020

I literally have no idea when the last time I used it was. Most likely it was to install snow leopard. The external would work perfectly fine for the once every couple months usage my superdrive gets.

6. Monkey194545 macrumors member

The vertex3 will be a substantial upgrade over the 2. I have read that the vertex2 is not even as good as the original vertex and I know they have a lot of problems (ie: dying) with them as well. I would go with an intel x-25 (not as fast but super reliable) or wait for the vertex3.

7. brendu thread starter macrumors 68020

well since I got tied up with work yesterday and couldnt get out to buy it, I think I will wait to see what happens with vertex 3 and save a bit longer

8. brendu thread starter macrumors 68020

9. hssky97 macrumors regular

You could use this as a boot drive....but, I'm not sure 80gb will do you any good, unless you don't use to much space or you have an external....to me I don't really see SSD as a benefit at all...just no moving parts less space big whoop! But, whatever suits you :D

10. brendu thread starter macrumors 68020

the big benefit is that the slowest part of the machine is getting much faster

11. brendu thread starter macrumors 68020

12. trip1ex macrumors 68000

I would wait for the next-gen SSDs to hit in the next few months. Anandtech reviewed the Vertex 3 and found it much faster.

13. hssky97 macrumors regular

Hmmm....I guess so:cool:

14. Remmnever macrumors member

15. brendu, Feb 27, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011

brendu thread starter macrumors 68020

Yep. Im waiting. Thanks guys.

EDIT: wait a second... will I be able to notice a speed difference with the vertex 3 considering that my laptop is stuck with SATA 3.0 not the faster SATA 6.0? The articles I have been reading on it are leading me to believe I wont be able to take advantage of the speed increase.

16. advancescash macrumors newbie

Say money wasn't an issue, and you had a choice between the current 7200rpm hard drives and the SSD in the latest generation MBP - is there any reason not to buy the SSD? Read will presumably be fast, but are write speeds still slower on SSD as they used to be? I presume the MBP would run cooler with an SSD. Any reasons or situations (other than purse!) where an SSD would be a bad idea?

17. brendu thread starter macrumors 68020

I got impatient and ended up ordering the OWC 120GB SSD with 8GB Ram the other day, it will be here thursday. I cant wait.

18. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton