Any reason not to get matte for my use?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iwkua, May 30, 2010.

1. iwkua macrumors newbie

I know there are many matte vs glossy threads, however I was wondering if I could get some specific advice for my specific use. The main downside I've seen listed with the matte screen is that the colors don't pop as much, especially with movies and pictures. However, I will watch any video on my lcd tv and use my external monitor for photo editing. 90% of the time my laptop will be used for reading and writing in different places so it seems like there's no downside for me to get matte since I'll avoid glare and color pop isn't important. Is there any thing else I'm not considering?
    Thanks

2. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

For your uses, antiglare would probably be superior. Additionally, you should know that although colors may not "pop" as much as they do with the glossy screens, they are still excellent, and at least you'll be seeing them as opposed to yourself every time you use your notebook.

3. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

If you like shinny things, glossy is for you. I find glossy fine if there is no light hitting the screen. Its nice and beautiful in the dark when playing videos. But most of the time light hits the screen, so I prefer matte.

4. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

I work 95% of the time inside, so light reflexion is not a problem for me, that's why I choose glossy and not matte. I also use it a lot in planes, and never noticed any uncomfortable reflexion.

5. Guiguiga macrumors regular

Guiguiga

I went for the antiglare because I could not deal with the glossy anymore. It's just ridiculous how I used to lose focus because of the reflections. Bad for my eyes and my concentration.

6. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

Ugh 2nd the no glossy model. The reflections give me headaches even in low reflection areas.

7. xi mezmerize ix macrumors 6502a

xi mezmerize ix

when you spend around $2000 on a notebook, for me at least, u would probably be weary about using it outside in the elements.

8. Hadron macrumors regular

But I use mine on trains, in rooms where I can't always choose to have no windows behind me, etc. It's not just outdoor use where reflections can be a problem - in fact the first time I went to compare in an Apple store (completely indoors) I found the room lighting produced unacceptable reflections off that glass cover.

9. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

if you aren't going to be outside a lot using ur mbp under direct sunlight, i see no reason why you wouldn't want to go with the glossy screen for those popping colors. the glossy screen really isn't that bad tbh. just tilt you screen a bit if necessary and there ya go! hope this helped your decision.