any reason *not* to run on Intel GFX only?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stefan1975, Sep 19, 2010.

1. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

so i am enjoying my 2010 MP15 immensely, however the first thing i did was install gfxcardstatus and set it to "intel only". The 330M hasn't been on since first boot at all!

Is there any reason to ever use the nvidia card? I do no play video games on my laptop, just use my PS3 for that. I do some mild video and photoediting but as far as i can tell aperture and imovie (even final cut express) are doing just fine on the intel card.

startup times for video/photo apps is rather slow (i was expecting instantly, but it takes up to 5 seconds to start an app), but i am blaming the 5400rpm drive for that.

so is there any benefit in running on the nvidia other then draining my battery even faster? The default switch apple put it just made it possible to choose between nvidia only or dynamic, not intel only .... why is that?

The intel is doing just fine on its own and dynamic is a nightmare where every other program activates the geforce. I am no where near 8 hours of battery even on the intel.

It's unfortunate that for some reason at every boot gfxcardstatus needs to tell me it switched to the intel card, it seems the system defaults to the nvidia at boot up or something and then is forced back to the intel when gfxcardstatus kicks in?!

thanks, stefan

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If you haven't experienced any graphical slowdowns, then there is no reason to use the 330M.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The Intel GPU works very well for almost everything.

If you use some things that need the GPU, maybe use the 330M is good. I use the 330M exclusively because I use Photoshop and stuff a lot.

4. stefan1975 thread starter macrumors 6502a

well i am running aperture and the trial of photoshop CS5 (haven't made up my mind between the two yet) ... and both seem snappy enough on the intel, for now.

Does gfxcardstatus always popup the active card when logging in. or does the system boot up using the 330M only to be overruled when gfxc.s. kicks in? I really don't need it to tell me every time i am using the intel card ... i knów that.

even imovie didnt seem all to bad on the intel, although i havent done much rendering yet.

so why is there a nvidia only switch in 'preferences' but not an intel only switch?