Any reason not to test 3.0 as a non-professional dev?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LewisNYC, Apr 11, 2009.

1. LewisNYC macrumors member

Hi everyone,

Long time reader first time poster. :D

I am intrigued by what I have heard discussed about OS 3.0b2 and I am interested in taking the plunge myself. I would like to ask your opinion of how good an idea this is. I would, of course, register as a developer to gain proper access (and support?) to the software.

I am under no illusion that I will develop the next great fart app, but I am potentially interested in learning how to develop for iPhone as a hobby.

In short, would Apple have any problem with an individual such as myself entering the program? I recognize that this is beta software, and would need to be OK with those risks.

Thanks in advance,
    Lewis

2. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

You shouldn't have a problem getting into the program. Just sign up as an individual and put down that you will sell your app for free. From what I have heard this is the easiest way to get in, and the quickest (i.e. less wait time).

I have 3.0b2 on my iPhone 3G and I have had no issues really. There are a few apps that do not work, however, the Apple apps work 95% of the time, which isn't bad for a beta.

3. GFSarah macrumors regular

GFSarah

As long as you are going about it the legal way and are fully aware of the risks involved with beta software, the decision is really up to you -- how much is it worth to you? Is it worth the $99 and the potential death of your iPhone to gain access to the SDK and opportunity to beta test the software? If so, then yes. If not, then just wait a couple more months (probably) for the public release of everything. We know the OS 3.0 will free to all iPhone users, and I'd say the SDK for 3.0 will become available for free in time as well. (((By the way, I'm not trying to make a moral statement by saying "as long as you are going about it in the legal way;" I was referring to the number of problems that often arise from NOT going through the right channels to get it.)))

Again, it's your choice. Just be sure you make an informed decision about what you're getting into.

As for me, I am/was in the same boat as you. I'm not a "professional" developer, but I am very interested in learning to develop for the iPhone/iPod Touch and will give it a try (just messing with it right now) as soon as school is out (I'm an elementary teacher assistant and going to grad school to become certified to teach). I also really enjoy beta testing stuff and am willing to accept the risks involved. I decided that since I still have my original iPhone as well as my 3G, that if I bricked one I could survive with the other being functional until I figured out how to fix the iBrick -- and have fun figuring out how to fix it. For me, the excitement outweighed the risks and I went for it. I haven't had any major disasters yet, but I have found a few bumps here and there which is part of the process. I've enjoyed every minute of it, but that's just me. Just remember that it's totally up to you and beta testing isn't for everyone.

4. LewisNYC thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for taking the time to respond - I appreciate both of your thoughts.

Is there any reason to think that 3.0 would "brick" my phone? I understand (and accept) that is always a risk, but have there been reports of this happening?

Thanks again,
    Lewis

5. iSaga macrumors regular

Just make sure to register your UDID before downloading on your phone, as long as you do that there should be no worries as far as bricking your phone. Just be aware that not all apps play nice with the 3.0 beta yet so if that is an issue to you it is something to consider.

6. Brunos82 macrumors member

Don't Do It

Lewis if you want to learn to develop for a hobby then buy into the program but stick to the 2.2.1

You can still play around with the developing part of 2.2.1

3.0 is not stable for regular day use so UNLESS you buy another iphone just for making apps I wouldn't upgrade to 3.0 yet

I made that mistake and the phone I depend on for work is now unreliable.

With 2.2.1 my signal was excellent, always 5 bars
    Now with 3.0 I have no-service at home and most places I used to get 5.

Only 2 more months until they fix these bugs and release the official 3.0

7. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Not true. They said "Summer" not "June".

8. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

june is in the summer

9. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Yes, but Summer lasts longer than just June. So for someone to say that 3.0 is going to be final in June is false. They can speculate that 3.0 will be ready in June, but only Apple can make that happen. As far as I'm concerned, 3.0 could be ready in July or August too.

10. psingh01 macrumors 65816

I've had developer access since last year and have not developed anything lol Just no time. Shouldn't be a problem for you, though I would recommend having a 2nd device to just test if you can. The beta OS's might be buggy. I used my primary phone to experiment on for 6 months until I upgraded to a 3G iPhone. Now I just use my original one as the dev device to put the beta OSs on and use my primary phone only with the current OS version.

11. LewisNYC thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your thoughts - so do you just switch your SIM back and forth, or do you have two separate lines?

Best,
    Lewis

12. psingh01 macrumors 65816

Neither. My original iPhone is just used as a wifi device (pretty much an iPod touch w/ Camera). My 3G iPhone is the only one with an actual phone line. I suppose if I needed to test on Edge or 3G connections then I'd use my 3G iPhone. I just can't test anything 3.0 related on it cause I'm not willing to put the beta OS on it. For regular development it still works.

13. psingh01 macrumors 65816

If you just want to practice, you can use the dev tools and run your programs on the simulator which is free. You only have to pay to actually put it on your iPhone. At least that is how it was when I last looked at it.

14. RTiii320 macrumors 6502a

RTiii320

Obviously it is not going to be perfect, but I have not experienced too many bugs with 3.0. A few apps. take longer too open but no MAJOR bugs on a day to day use. So it might not be stable for youm however it works like a charm for me.

15. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

The 3.0b2 is a fairly stable OS. I really don't think its necessary to test it on another device, I have it on my primary phone that I use everyday and its just fine. Just keep in mind that their is lag and there are app crashes, its just the nature of the beast. I love the new features and think the positives outweigh the negatives.
    Yeah but no. Most likely June.