Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fronesis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2012
OK, we all already know the following key points, as Verizon has confirmed both:
1) Verizon is NOT and WILL NOT be locking the iPhone 5
2) Verizon's official policy is that it is A-OK to move sims from one device to another; your data account is tied to the sim, not the device.

This leads me to two questions:
A) Is there any reason why I can't buy a Verizon LTE iPad and and an off-contract Verizon iPhone 5, and then just use the iPad data account (and the sim) in both devices?***

B) If that WILL work, then what's the easiest way to get an off-contract Verizon iPhone: buy on contract and then pay the ETF, or talk to go to store and try to buy "device only" or just wait until apple sells it unlocked?

***I am aware that there are two complications here. First, I won't have voice or texts on the iPhone; that's fine by me. And second, in swapping sims I will need to i) cut the micro-sim down to nano-sim size, for the iPhone, and then, ii) get a nano-sim to micro-sim adapter, for the iPad. This sounds like a pain but still do-able.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I want to say when the SIM is in a phone, it knows what phone b.c it can trace the IMEI. It may work for a few days, but then verizon would probably call you and tell you that you cannot do that.....That is how they can trace if people without a data plan try to use a smart phone. If you have a smart phone they make you have a data plan and can tell by the IMEI

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
Unfortunately due to backorder haven't been able to test myself but it's my understanding that without the SIM the iPhone won't work at all without the sim. Even though it doesn't use LTE for voice you still need the sim in it for it to work.

cutienoua

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2012
done it with att

I've experimented this with att
You will still need a cellphone for voice. Voip is only good where the 3g or LTE works good.
If you are OK with this than it works!

fronesis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2012
I want to say when the SIM is in a phone, it knows what phone b.c it can trace the IMEI. It may work for a few days, but then verizon would probably call you and tell you that you cannot do that.....That is how they can trace if people without a data plan try to use a smart phone. If you have a smart phone they make you have a data plan and can tell by the IMEI

No, this is NOT a problem. Verizon's own FAQ says they don't care what device you put your LTE sim in. You pay them for the data plan. See this older thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1348052/

Your right that this used to be a problem on ATT and when people tried to not sign up for a data plan on their smartphone, but this is a different deal with LTE data plans on Verizon.

As for it not doing voice, yes I'm totally aware of that: I've been using an ATT iPad data sim in my 4s for the past 5 months. Truth is, I don't make phone calls EVER, so it doesn't bother me at all. People who need to reach me use iMessage or my google voice number, and if someone does call I get a google voice transcription almost immediately.

My plan would be to replicate this setup but with the iphone 5 and LTE, and without the worries that I could get cut off. ATT might decide they don't want me using my Ipad sim in an iphone, but Verizon has explicitly stated that this is OK.

----------

Here's Verizon's official position, as stated on their FAQ:
Q: Can I use my Verizon Wireless 4G SIM card in a 4G LTE device not purchased from Verizon Wireless?

A: Yes. You may activate any 4G LTE device that has been certified by Verizon Wireless to be compatible with our 4G LTE network, including devices not purchased directly from Verizon Wireless. Simply activate your 4G SIM card on a Verizon Wireless price plan.

Source: http://support.verizonwireless.com/information/4gsim.html

cutienoua

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2012
Lucky you!
I have to carry work phone and hotspot on Verizon and iphone 4s tmobile!:eek:

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
No, this is NOT a problem. Verizon's own FAQ says they don't care what device you put your LTE sim in. You pay them for the data plan. See this older thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1348052/

Your right that this used to be a problem on ATT and when people tried to not sign up for a data plan on their smartphone, but this is a different deal with LTE data plans on Verizon.

As for it not doing voice, yes I'm totally aware of that: I've been using an ATT iPad data sim in my 4s for the past 5 months. Truth is, I don't make phone calls EVER, so it doesn't bother me at all. People who need to reach me use iMessage or my google voice number, and if someone does call I get a google voice transcription almost immediately.

My plan would be to replicate this setup but with the iphone 5 and LTE, and without the worries that I could get cut off. ATT might decide they don't want me using my Ipad sim in an iphone, but Verizon has explicitly stated that this is OK.

----------

Here's Verizon's official position, as stated on their FAQ:

Source: http://support.verizonwireless.com/information/4gsim.html

good to know. What about if your LTE plan had unlimited data, or was that not ever around when ipads were launched?

fronesis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2012
good to know. What about if your LTE plan had unlimited data, or was that not ever around when ipads were launched?

I think Verizon's official line is that to sign up for LTE plans you have to switch over to one of the new plans. But I also read somewhere that some users had found a way to switch while hanging on to their unlimited. I didn't look closely into this since I don't have a Verizon plan right now, and my intention would be to sign up for one of their shared plans for tablets and hotspots.

I'm sure others have noticed, but Verizon charges MUCH LESS for tablet/hotspot data than for phone data: 4gb is $70 for phones and $30 for tablets/hotspots. This is the price BEFORE the device charge.

So, for example

2 tablets + 4GB of LTE data = $10 + $10 + $30 = $50
1 tablet + 1 smartphone + 4GB of LTE data = $10 + $40 + $70 = $120

I totally understand whey the device charge goes up from $10 to $40, since the phone also comes with unlimited voice and texts, but why on earth does the data itself cost more when you consume it on a phone than when you consume it on a tablet, or even on a hotspot that has a notebook or desktop computer connected to it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.