Any reason to buy at MBP at apple store, versus BestBuy *warranty issues*

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by texfire, Nov 9, 2007.

1. texfire macrumors member

Hi,

As my MBP was 'liquid damaged', I'm looking for a new one.
    AppleCare wouldn't fix my computer at all. Waste of money.
    At Best Buy, they have a 3 yr warranty for $70 bucks more than AppleCare that also covers accidental drops and spills.
    What reasons should I not buy my MBP at BestBuy and have greater peace of mind with a better warranty?

Bestbuy may not give me an education discount.
    Bestbuy (hopefully) wouldn't fix my MBP in their store, they apparently ship it to apple, so I'd be out of the computer a bit longer than I would have if it was worked on directly in my local apple store...
    I can tolerate that better than buying a whole new laptop which is what I'm having to do now..

Thanks,
    chris

2. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

hmmm, this is interesting... looks like you pay more but the warranty is a heckuva lot better. I may look into bestbuy now...

3. PhotoMatt macrumors newbie

So AppleCare is a waste of money because they don't cover accidental damage which they never claim to, and even go so far as to explicitly say they do not cover. :p

The bestbuy warranty looks better for you if you think you'll damage it again. Just be damn sure you read the actual warranty paper work before some employee who gets pushed to sell warranties just tells you what you want to hear. Seems odd because what's stopping you from smashing the thing in 2 years just to get a new one, and saying it was an accident.

4. luffx macrumors regular

I used to work for the Geek Squad......you don't want a computer from Best Buy.

First... they aren't authorized to do in-store Apple repairs. So expect anything that goes wrong with it to be sent out and take at minimum of 7-10 days (if no parts are needed). They will replace 9324847198324132 logic boards before even considering replacing the computer.

Let's say things have changed...and now they do Apple repairs. Their in-store queue takes forever. I would almost rather have it shipped out than have them repair it in-store. Most of the techs I worked with didn't know what they were talking about. As far as the ADH-plan, I don't have much to say about that. They will repair breaks and drops, but they will go about it in the same manner....it will take a long time.

If you do buy something from there and something goes wrong. You're best bet is to smash it into pieces in hopes that they replace it.

5. BigJayhawk macrumors regular

Just to clarify. You get what you pay for (although maybe not in the service area, as mentioned below).

Applecare is a WARRANTY -- never claims otherwise.

Best Buy's plan you mention is a WARRANTY -- plus -- INSURANCE.

If your car breaks down, you take it to the dealer to cover it under a warranty. If you WRECK IT then your dealer would laugh at you to expect it to be covered by the warranty. Call your insurance carrier.

IN FACT, some home-owner's insurance plans have inexpensive insurance riders available for computers, electronics, etc.

6. tmoney468 macrumors 6502

7. fadethis macrumors member

I used to work for best buy / geek squad as well

as far as the accidental damage/handling (ADH) warranty, it will cover any damage with the exception of (if i was informed correctly) 1. complete submerssion in liquid (not sure how they would determine that) and 2. straight-through punctures, i.e. if there was a hole punched through it everything else in theory should be covered, dropping it from 10 stories, running over with car, stepping on it, spilling beer on it, etc

they will most likely have to send the unit out to get serviced. in the event that the parts+labor exceeds the value of the unit they will authorize an exchange on the unit which is not uncommon. additionally if the unit requires a 4th repair they will automatically exchange the unit upon sending it out a 4th time

thats the gist,there are other details if you still have questions but having been there for so long i know the ins and outs of how all that sh-t works.

and it is true that a lot of the time the techs working at the store don't know what they should know. they could be high school/college kids that need part time money and best buy is willing to hire them for the extra selling power, not repair power.

8. Spliff macrumors regular

I just bought a MBP from BB and returned it within the 14 day return period. The reason why I returned it was because it had the infamous yellowing of the screen, and decided not to gamble with going with another unit from BB is that all their MBPs are probably from the same "batch".

The best part about purchasing from there is the 14 day hassle free return period. Even if I returned it and said "I don't like it" they will take it back. If you do that with Apple, you will get charge a restocking fee.

I would never purchase extended warranty through BB, as other people have mentioned above, it takes them 2-3 weeks just to get the problem diagnosed (as they have to ship your computer away, not sure if they do in-house repairs now which is scary). Then you have to wait for the part to be ordered, then it has to be shipped back. You are probably waiting a month just to get a fix which is stupid.

If you are on the fence about whether you will like your Apple computer or not, I would buy from BB and try it out for 13 days and return it if you don't like it. If you decide to keep it, then buy AppleCare from eBay :)

9. calvy macrumors 65816

The only way I'd buy from Best Buy is if I was in some way able to screw them over. The 14 day exchange is nice, if you are on the fence, so that would be a good reason I guess. But for me, I know i'm going to keep the thing, and I'd rather not give Best Buy the sale.

A few years ago, I was in a Best Buy store, in the computer section, and I was looking for something Mac related (can't recall), but I asked the guy where it might be, and his reply... "Uh, we don't carry, nor will we EVER cary, apple products in Best Buy stores."

I so wanted to find that jerk when they started carrying iPods. And I'd so love to see him working the Apple display that's currently set up in Best Buy stores like you used to see at CompUSA.

To hell with Best Buy.

10. sevimli macrumors 6502a

Is that true? I know there is a restocking fee for opened pc/laptops/digicams unless something wrong with the item.

11. luffx macrumors regular

15% restocking fee on computers.

12. texfire thread starter macrumors member

If you'll read my other posting about my damaged computer, you'll see why I put 'liquid damage' in quotes. I'm the sole user of the computer in a house with no other humans and I did not spill anything into my computer. I saw a picture of a droplet of something on the repair guy's iphone to 'prove' to me that my unit was water damaged.

Nevertheless, would it not make sense to do bestbuy anyways? If all the haters on here can get over the stupidity of the kids that work there, you still have to acknowledge that had I done this initially, I'd be out of a computer for 2 weeks and end up with one that works for no cost. As it is now, I have a dead computer and have to buy a new one. I can take a 2 week delay in exchange for $2000.

Oh, something new I learned from the 'smart' boys that you think inhabit the apple store. He said the MBP is not a laptop computer meaning it is not meant to be put on a lap. Because it is a desktop replacement, it is so powerful that's why it runs hot and can't be put on your lap. I asked him if it was more powerful than every other laptop PC out there...

Chris

13. luffx macrumors regular

lol, that's grand.

14. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Having gone through this thread I don't think anyone was insinuating that Apple's "genius" support help is any smarter than Best Buy's (more that, in general, Best Buy's support is not specifically trained for Apple equipment).

And I wouldn't expect anyone to infer that by putting "liquid damage" in quotes, you meant that it didn't actually happen. Just spell out your whole story.

In all honesty, if you want every possible damage covered, you're right to go with Best Buy. But if the wait time for repair was not an issue (which is what it sounds like) you'd be best just getting the cheaper Apple Care and sending it directly to Apple. They're less likely to be extremely anal about what might have happened to the computer and just fix it (unless its blatantly obvious you did something not covered under warranty).

This is actually not Apple-specific. Even Dell calls them notebook computers now. They are more powerful and generate a lot more heat then they did several years ago, and no computer company wants a McDonald's coffee-esque suit on their hands.

I don't think anyone on here is being that apple fanboy-ish. You asked for people's opinions and they gave it.

15. Spliff macrumors regular

Not here in Canada, unless American BB is different from ours. It is a 14 day no hassle return policy.

16. luffx macrumors regular

lucky. >.<

17. texfire thread starter macrumors member

I was merely pointing out that both stores can have unknowledgeable/unhelpful people there. And not all people that work at bestbuy are stupid. And the thread is already full of comments about how uneducated bestbuy/geeksquad people are.

"'s mean what I was told. Which isn't necessarily what happened. And, it doesn't imply that I was the cause of it either.

Can you explain this more? In Houston, we have a large Apple store who claims they do 90% of their service work inhouse and have the shortest turnaround times in the nation. Nevertheless, my whole point is that AppleCare would not (and did not) help me with this issue, so if the same thing happens in the future, I'd be screwed again. It doesn't make a difference whether I take it to an apple store vs. ship it directly does it?

As a side note, now that apple store said my laptop is liquid damaged, does its serial number get put into the database so if I shoudl get it working again (new logic board or whatever), they will never do warranty work on it again?
    If that's the case, the apple guy mentioned I could get a prorated refund of applecare. Is that typical?

Anyways, how's Austin..I was just there 2 weekends ago.. nice time...
    Chris

18. njp142 macrumors member

Yeah here in the US that's there policy.

Anyone know of a store with the best policy for those of us burnt by a yellow screen? Someone said at Amazon you can note it as a defect on your return and not get charged a restocking fee.

19. luffx macrumors regular

If there is any defect with the machine, the stocking fee is waived.

20. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

I guess what my point was that most of the stories I hear regarding refused apple care service for completely bogus reasons occur when people take their machines to the Apple Store (as opposed to contacting Apple by phone). When you take it to a store, you're more likely at the mercy of the particular genius you have and/or the manager of that particular store who might be pressuring the geniuses to be extremely selective on what they are servicing (whether to save costs, free up their service line, etc.).

If you call AppleCare with a problem, most likely they will have you ship them your computer for repairs. Usually at this point, (again, unless its very clear your problem came from "liquid damage" (and i'm not assuming it is at this point)) Apple will just fix your problem and ship it back to you. Again, this takes longer than going to the store, but it sounds like for you personally that's a fair trade off.

I personally don't have experience with this besides a busted Airport Express (which I got Apple phone support to replace, no questions asked). But a perusal of these forums will show that, in general, Apple Store service depends on who you get, while Apple phone support is generally a bit more helpful. I guess it is still a gamble, so if you feel more comfortable with Best Buy, go for it (I personally am just wary of best buy because there is literally a protection plan for everything you buy in that store, which screams that its more a "pad your bottom line" concept then actually decent customer service.)

I have no experience on that. I would say just call up Apple and see if you can get service or if they say you're computer's been blacklisted. (Worst-case scenario they just say no).

And Austin would be great if I could get out of the damn library from time to time. :D

21. mattwe macrumors member

I have a lot of experience with the Best Buy warranty and it has its good points and its bad.

Good:
    it lasts for 3 years and, in theory, at 4 repairs you get a new computer - I bought one computer about 7 years ago and have had 2 new ones since then and have only bought new warranties
    They fix pretty much anything, including when I got a little frustrated and accidentally shattered my LCD (long story)

Bad:
    service techs (not only the Geek Squad) aren't that great (see below)
    Geek Squad lines are always long and take too much time
    They often replace your hardware with crappier parts
    Usually you get it fixed in about 7 days - so have a backup computer if, like me, you use your laptop everyday
    If you get a replacement, it is only for "like technology" not the $$ amount you paid

Like I said, I have had many opportunities to use the BB product service plan (PSP). If anyone is buying a PC laptop I always tell them to get the BB warranty on it, laptops break and you need something to fall back on (most people do, at least). Right now my laptop is being repaired under the PSP and I write from my wife's laptop which will be going back to BB to be repaired soon as both of the LCD's have/had 'pressure lines' (dead lines of pixels running up and down the screen about an inch to the right of center).

In the past 6 months I have had: new LCD, 3 new motherboards and a new ethernet port and before that (maybe 1 year ago) it had a new motherboard. (I am leaving the LCD that I broke off my repair list) Why so many repairs? Each time one problem has been 'fixed' the computer came back with another problem that the repair people created. The first motherboard replacement was because of a manufacturing defect.

1) When it came back from the first motherboard replacement it had some kind of power issue and would randomly turn off (not overheating). So I sent it back, they didn't replace anything, instead saying it worked fine and sent it back...with a busted LCD (pressure lines so bad that the screen was unreadable).
    2) Sent it back to fix the LCD, and somehow they broke the wireless switch (the wireless antenna had a physical switch to turn it on and off - they broke the switch inside so it didn't control the antenna) so it went back immediately.
    3) They put a new motherboard in. This one had a broken wireless switch - the switch had no 'detent' to keep it in the on or off position and went back and forth with the slightest motion, which caused the antenna to turn on and off all the time.
    4) Back again. They still haven't fixed the 'randomly turning off' problem. This time they replaced the ethernet port and the motherboard. I had to wait 2 weeks for the motherboard to come in.
    4) When I picked it up it had pressure lines on the LCD again.

Also, throughout this process they kept calling saying that the damage was due to 'abuse' - I repeatedly told them that if it was, it was there abuse because it happened while in their possession.

Now, I am waiting to see if (with this LCD replacement) they will replace the computer.

Hopefully they will, and I will be able to pay the difference and upgrade to a Mac Book Pro.

Just my experience. They have replaced everything, but that is not necessarily a good thing.

First post here, not an owner of a Mac yet, but hope to be soon (if the laptop is not replaced I am just going to buy a MBP outright).

EDIT:
    I should add that they gave me a $100 gift card for the fact that they screwed up so many times.

[sarcasm]Thanks, that really means a lot.[/sarcasm]

22. tmoney468 macrumors 6502

If you're concerned with spilling water or something else on your laptop, why don't you see if your homeowner's insurance will cover it?, or if it has an option to insure your laptop?

23. schreck macrumors regular

Categorize the entire store by an interaction with one idiot employee! Bravo, my friend!

24. mattwe macrumors member

And, at the time, it probably was not an idiot thing to say. Apple ended their relationship with BB after the iFruit type iMacs (right name?) things came out because BB wouldn't carry one of each color in all of their stores. At least that is what I was told when I worked there (way back when...)

25. CashGap macrumors 6502

CashGap

Hmmm... computer from BestBuy and BB extended warranty...

And the on again/off again Apple/BestBuy relationship...

Two years from now you could find your "uneconomical to repair" MBP replaced at no charge with an "equivalent" Gateway.