Any reason to get Apple Care on AT4?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by caligurl, Apr 18, 2016.

1. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

I normally buy Apple Care for our iphones, ipads, apple watch, etc. But I was wondering if it was really necessary with AppleTV?

2. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

I have NEVER had 1 Apple TV Fail. I current have 8 ATV 4. Over the years have had Apple TV 1,2,3. But I assume they can fail. I guess depends on the cost. But for me I generally never buy Apple Care. But did get it on my iPhone 6 Plus but did not need it so far.

3. rolsskk macrumors 6502

Nope. It's all solid state hardware inside, so little to worry about going wrong. The basic warranty that comes with it lasts for a year, and AppleCare will only extend that for an additional year.

4. benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

The only reason I can see is coverage for the Siri Remote -- but then again you could buy a new remote for less than the cost of AppleCare.

5. caligurl thread starter macrumors 68030

caligurl

6. Mac... nificent macrumors 6502

Remote is made out of glass and you can break it if you drop it. New remote cost 80.00. AppleCare cost 30. Gives you 2 years of protection.

7. caligurl thread starter macrumors 68030

caligurl

i don't think that apple care for apple tv includes accidental damage (like from dropping the remote)

8. rolsskk macrumors 6502

Read the fine print:

9. jdag macrumors 6502a

I do not feel it is worth it. I generally use a 10% value for extended warranties. The AppleTV AppleCare is $30, so for the 32gb version at $150, it is 20% of the initial value. And since you can often find the ATV4 on sale for #120-$140, AppleCare becomes an even worse relative value. If anything, the price on the ATV will go down in the coming months/years.

If you lose/break the remote, pick up a new remote. Or, sell your ATV4 box alone and buy a whole new setup. If the ATV4 box dies, sell the remote alone and buy a whole new setup. Either way, save the $30 on AppleCare.

10. Tech198, Apr 19, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2016

Tech198 macrumors G4

It's cheaper ? My reasoning is the same as other products from Apple: Piece of mind..

Never had one fail either.. You know after the 1st year u can get it repaired for free with Applecare Then again,, Apple just also wants to make a quick buck from customers...

Usually, i find Apple care a waste... 1 year limited is enough, because if i'm gonna replace my products i'll do it within that time anyway.

Remotes are what $30 bucks for Apple TV so i just buy new one if i need it. Of all the time we've had our Apple TV 3's a year and a half ago, i've only gone through 2 remotes..

11. Mac... nificent macrumors 6502

That is Applecare for the Mac product line. Apple TV has its own Applecare with no such restriction. All I know is that whenever a customer has come in with a broken remote we have always honored their Applecare warranty by just giving them a new remote. If they did not buy Applecare then they are required to buy a new remote.

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MC252LL/B/applecare-protection-plan-for-apple-tv

Remotes for the new Apple TV are now 80.00.

12. smacrumon Suspended

smacrumon

In some jurisdictions around the word, your consumer rights entitle you to a repair, replacement or refund longer than any Apple warranty guarantee might suggest. Probably best investigating your country or state's consumer law and exercising your consumer rights in the event a product fails. Apple Care is quite expensive and unnecessary if you have good consumer rights where you are located.

13. rolsskk macrumors 6502

No, I pulled that straight from that same page, you just have to go to the fine print link:
    http://www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/applecare/appmacnaen.html

14. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Nope, $79.00

Screen Shot 2016-04-21 at 11.21.14 AM.png

15. Taisiya macrumors regular

I bought my ATV4 32gb for only $119 brand new from B&H Photo(NYC) recently.

If a replacement remote is $79, that makes the ATV4 box just $40. Guess I should have bought an extra ATV4 for the same $119 as a back-up. :)

16. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Accidental damage is not covered. Read the terms and conditions at the link on the page you posted.

AppleCare+ provides protection for accidental damage, with an attached replacement fee. AppleCare does not.