Any reason to have a passcode on the AW if not using Apple Pay or Unlocking iMac?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by jaybar, Mar 18, 2019.

1. jaybar macrumors 6502a

jaybar

Hi

Is there reasons for having a passcode on my AW, beyond Apple Pay or unlocking iMac?

I woukd love to be able to unlock our iMac, but I have not been able to get it to work with multiple accounts and switching users. The only time it works is if I reboot the iMac and then stops working when my husband switches user.

Are there any compelling reasons for a passcode beyond these two features?

Thanks.

2. itsmemuffins macrumors 68040

itsmemuffins

Well if you take it off and walk away no one can use it. Also if someone snatches it off your wrist?

3. rojocrandall macrumors regular

rojocrandall

Anyone who got your unlocked watch would have access to all email, text messages, fitness and health information, contact information, and app data too. Other than that, it would be no big deal... :)

4. jaybar thread starter macrumors 6502a

jaybar

5. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

I never use Passcode on the watch and never see the point. The watch is on my wrist. No one will be able to get it off me without my knowledge.

6. Newtons Apple, Mar 21, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2019

Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Same as matrix07, have never used a passcode on my AW.

I never leave it where it could be stolen.

7. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

How interesting. I didn't even know you could use the apple watch without a passcode. I like the idea of it locking when I'm not near it because people could read my texts, answer my calls, etc... But very interesting. I also use the thing to unlock my MacBook, so I will keep the passcode on it.

But yeah, if I wasn't using it to unlock my Macbook like you, I'd probably turn it off like the rest here.

8. kohlson macrumors 68000

I configured my watch to unlock with my phone. Hardly ever unlock my watch directly anymore.

9. nikusak macrumors regular

Why *not* use the passcode?

The Watch unlocks whenever your phone unlocks, if it’s on your wrist. I basically never type it in.

(Sometimes I just don’t understand these questions...)

10. Significant1 macrumors 6502a

I take my watch on and off several times a day, I don't want to bother with passcode or have my phone around. I don't have apple pay and don't see much risk in having i unprotected for my usage.

11. mrex macrumors 68040

mrex

why a pw? what happens on my watch, stays on my watch too and no one else has access to any info shared with my watch.

12. kohlson macrumors 68000

Does it?
    I think the watch is configured to get texts, email, and other notifications. It may be configured to have Siri do any manner of things, just by asking. But perhaps you configured your AW to disable these features.
    I'll admit, it's a long shot that not having a password on a watch won't be an issue. Kind of like backups.

13. almostinsane macrumors regular

I don't use Apple pay or use it to unlock my Mac so I have the passcode turned off.

14. mrex macrumors 68040

mrex

that was an answer why i and others have a password and people should use a password with their devices even if they arent worry about their own stuff, but they should realize that without a passwotd they make it possible someone else to see other people stuff (e.g. emails, messages...) which may be confidential.

when i know that there is a person who doesnt use a password to protect any data, i dont send anything to that person that i dont want everyone to see. i cant trust that the device is used only by the person or never be stolen for example.

15. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

Sadly, once you lick your iMac, there's no way to unlick it.

16. jaybar thread starter macrumors 6502a

jaybar

LOL. I can’t figure out how to edit the title. Thanks. Have a great day.

17. TommyBoy5 macrumors member

I just wished it wasn't 6 digits or you could opt in for less. I can type in four digits quickly but believe it or not the 6 digits takes me at least twice as long.

18. mrex macrumors 68040

mrex

I have 4 digits passcode on aw.

19. pika2000 macrumors 601

I always use passcode on my devices if possible. It’s not about whether I use Apple Pay or not (I don’t), it’s about keeping honest people honest.
    With an unlocked AW, someone can just grab it, reset it, and then claim it’s his/her, and there’s no immediate way for you to prove it otherwise. Living in a region where law enforcement is highly questionable and lacking, I rather safeguard my belongings well.

20. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

It has always been four digits for me.

21. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Mine is 4. Never saw the option for 6.

Six digits on my phone though.

22. SisterBlue22 macrumors 6502a

SisterBlue22

Mine is 4 digits, but I never type it in because it unlocks when I unlock my phone.

23. TommyBoy5 macrumors member

Figured out that because I have a work iPhone with a VPN they control the authentication method. A 6-pin or higher is required and therefore the option for simple passcode is greyed out for me.