Any reason to have a passcode on the AW if not using Apple Pay or Unlocking iMac?

jaybar

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
Hi

Is there reasons for having a passcode on my AW, beyond Apple Pay or unlocking iMac?

I woukd love to be able to unlock our iMac, but I have not been able to get it to work with multiple accounts and switching users. The only time it works is if I reboot the iMac and then stops working when my husband switches user.

Are there any compelling reasons for a passcode beyond these two features?

Thanks.

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Well if you take it off and walk away no one can use it. Also if someone snatches it off your wrist?

rojocrandall

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2009
Anyone who got your unlocked watch would have access to all email, text messages, fitness and health information, contact information, and app data too. Other than that, it would be no big deal... :)

Reactions: haruhiko

BigMcGuire

Contributor
Jan 10, 2012
California
How interesting. I didn't even know you could use the apple watch without a passcode. I like the idea of it locking when I'm not near it because people could read my texts, answer my calls, etc... But very interesting. I also use the thing to unlock my MacBook, so I will keep the passcode on it.

But yeah, if I wasn't using it to unlock my Macbook like you, I'd probably turn it off like the rest here.

Significant1

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2014
Why *not* use the passcode?

The Watch unlocks whenever your phone unlocks, if it’s on your wrist. I basically never type it in.

(Sometimes I just don’t understand these questions...)
I take my watch on and off several times a day, I don't want to bother with passcode or have my phone around. I don't have apple pay and don't see much risk in having i unprotected for my usage.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
why a pw? what happens on my watch, stays on my watch too and no one else has access to any info shared with my watch.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
what happens on my watch, stays on my watch too
Does it?
I think the watch is configured to get texts, email, and other notifications. It may be configured to have Siri do any manner of things, just by asking. But perhaps you configured your AW to disable these features.
I'll admit, it's a long shot that not having a password on a watch won't be an issue. Kind of like backups.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
Does it?
I think the watch is configured to get texts, email, and other notifications. It may be configured to have Siri do any manner of things, just by asking. But perhaps you configured your AW to disable these features.
I'll admit, it's a long shot that not having a password on a watch won't be an issue. Kind of like backups.

that was an answer why i and others have a password and people should use a password with their devices even if they arent worry about their own stuff, but they should realize that without a passwotd they make it possible someone else to see other people stuff (e.g. emails, messages...) which may be confidential.

when i know that there is a person who doesnt use a password to protect any data, i dont send anything to that person that i dont want everyone to see. i cant trust that the device is used only by the person or never be stolen for example.

jaybar

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
LOL. I can’t figure out how to edit the title. Thanks. Have a great day.

TommyBoy5

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2010
I just wished it wasn't 6 digits or you could opt in for less. I can type in four digits quickly but believe it or not the 6 digits takes me at least twice as long.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I always use passcode on my devices if possible. It’s not about whether I use Apple Pay or not (I don’t), it’s about keeping honest people honest.
With an unlocked AW, someone can just grab it, reset it, and then claim it’s his/her, and there’s no immediate way for you to prove it otherwise. Living in a region where law enforcement is highly questionable and lacking, I rather safeguard my belongings well.

TommyBoy5

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2010
Figured out that because I have a work iPhone with a VPN they control the authentication method. A 6-pin or higher is required and therefore the option for simple passcode is greyed out for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.