iPad Pro Any Reason to Have the Apple Leather Sleeve for Only Home Use?

jaybar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
Hi

I am using my 12.9 IPP at home. I might take it out of the house 10 times a year, if that much. For when I take it out, I have the SFbags Leather Muzetto bag.

Does the Apple Leather Sleeve, serve any useful purpose, when using the IPP at home?

Also, since I am only using the IPP at home, how critical is back protection or is the Smart Cover or Smart Keyboard sufficient? I use the iPad in bed about 85% of the time. I also use the pencil.

Thanks in advance.

Eric5273

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2009
New Jersey
I'd say there is no good reason for the sleeve. The only purpose I can think of for getting the sleeve is if you often carry the iPad in another bag that does NOT have a dedicated tablet pocket, so you need the sleeve to protect your iPad from the other junk in your bag. And even for that, it is very overpriced.

As for back protection, I suppose it depends on how clumsy you are and where you put your iPad down when you are not using it. If you never drop your iPad and you are careful to place it down on smooth clean surfaces only, then you would not need a back cover. I like having a back cover just in case. Most of my use is at my desk with a bluetooth keyboard, so I made sure to get a folio case that folds into a nice stand as well. If most of your use is holding the iPad in your hands, then you have to consider that a rear case makes the iPad heavier.

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013
I have the sleeve, but I use it to go out.

If you're mostly staying at home, I don't see the point of it.

jaybar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
I returned the Apple Leather Sleeve. I have the SFbags leather Muzetto for the iPad Pro 12.9. It has a built in padded iPad sleeve. Based in what everyone said, I thought the Apple leather sleeve, used in conjunction with my SFbags Muzetto or even used by itself, only at home, would be unnecessary.

Moreover, my Muzetto could safely store my IPP, while at home, when not in use.

I hate back covers with a passion. How durable is the back of the iPad, when I place it down on a smooth surface at home?

Last edited: