Any reason to order a quad-core now?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sfmountainbiker, Oct 21, 2009.

1. sfmountainbiker macrumors regular

I'm itching for a new iMac, and have been waiting months for yesterday's announcement, but now I am facing waiting even longer wait for a quad-core. Anyways, is there any reason to put my order in for a quad-core now rather than waiting? Is is possible that if I buy in late November that I will be at the "back of the line" so to speak for shipping/delivery and won't get my computer until December?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. sfmountainbiker thread starter macrumors regular

Just the education discount ($100 off). Really, I want to wait to see if I'm going to get any bonus from my work this year...then I won't feel so bad throwing down $2400 for a new computer. ;)

4. OCBulldogs macrumors newbie

I'm glad someone else asked this! I don't see any reason to order a computer now that won't be available for another 4-5 weeks.

I am going to wait until the Apple Store lists the model of iMac that I want with a 1-3 days ship time. Even better, I would like to buy it at my local Apple Retail Store. They've got so many employees down there, they need something to do!

5. sfmountainbiker thread starter macrumors regular

Also, is there any hope for a purchasing incentive such as a rebate on a printer or iPod nearer to the holidays? I was very tempted to buy an iMac when they were offering a free Touch iPod with it, but ended up deciding to wait for the new product line instead. I need a new iPod, but may put that on hold to let my wallet recuperate.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Apple's printer rebates are a year round thing. They only end because new models show up and old ones are no longer available.

7. sfmountainbiker thread starter macrumors regular

I'm bumping this thread, as I never got a satisfactory response. Why would anyone buy a quad-core now?

8. DDave macrumors regular

I guess it would depend on what you plan on doing with your iMac? If you need it for video or high end photography then get get the quad core. If you want a machine that will be viable longer, get the quad core.

Also there are printer rebates of $100 right now.

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

They're already going for the quad core. They just want to know if they should get in line right now or later. They might end up in the back of the ordering line and have to wait even longer.

OP the printer rebates come back after a few days when the previous one ends. It's up to you on if you want to just get into queue now or later because we really don't know how Apple is going to handle those orders. They might get backed up or one day it'll just become 1-3 days shipping for all.

10. sfmountainbiker thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Eidorian. What about iPod rebates? Is that really an exlusive "back-to-school" offer, or is there a chance their offer something similar for the holidays?

Also, does anyone know if they will have both the i5 and i7 in-store, or will the i7 be exclusive to online orders?

11. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

That's going to be next year. Those only go on in the summer stateside.